Jack Bearne
No votes

Total votes: 63

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Re: MotM: 07-05-23 Kings Lynn (A)

Post by Phil » Sun May 07, 2023 3:12 pm

Due to public pressure I've made this poll 3 votes so you can really show your appreciation

Just wish we had been there.

Swansea Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Swansea Harrier » Sun May 07, 2023 3:17 pm

Not Harriers related but certainly playoff-related affecting former Harriers players - Notts County win it in the 120th minute!!

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sun May 07, 2023 3:18 pm

I hope we get Chester. We never get any change out of Brackley and theit ground is a crap place to watch football.
Sam

Bewdleyharrier
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Bewdleyharrier » Sun May 07, 2023 3:35 pm

Best performance of the season when we needed it most. Now to emulate that feat next week.
Ashley Hemmings was a different level

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Sun May 07, 2023 4:53 pm

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:18 pm
I hope we get Chester. We never get any change out of Brackley and theit ground is a crap place to watch football.
Really torn on this one. Brackley are on a dismal run of form, Chester are on a good one. Game would be much better against Chester, but maybe Brackley is an easier option? Currently 0-0.

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Sun May 07, 2023 5:11 pm

HarrierN2 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 4:53 pm
Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 3:18 pm
Really torn on this one. Brackley are on a dismal run of form, Chester are on a good one. Game would be much better against Chester, but maybe Brackley is an easier option? Currently 0-0.
Brackley have opened the scoring in the 80th minute. Delightful, low, accurate, driven shot from the right back. Inverted postage stamp if you will!

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Sun May 07, 2023 5:18 pm

Well, hasn't it been a lovely day. Probably been the best day I've had following the Harriers, ever.

I thought today would be a game too far, to be honest. A fixture midweek would mean tired legs, King's Lynn have very good home form and finished well ahead of us. Very different game to Alfreton. So I thought it would be a narrow defeat, hard fought but an end to a nice run.

How wrong I was.

We started very well, it's easy to forget now how bad Hemmo's penalty was, well deserved after we had held the balance of play. Other players' heads would drop after a miss in a game like this. Not Hemmo, it seemed to make him work twice as hard and the goal was well deserved, shooting across himself after it looked like he had taken a touch too many.

King's Lynn seemed to kick into gear and seize the initiative. To their credit, no 10 and 15 were very good, a sensational ball by a winger across the box for the latter to score. Dibble perhaps could have done better. Hemmings continued to be a livewire but we were struggling to get a real foot hold and I'd thought if we'd got to half time all square we'd have a chance - and so it proved.

Some great work down the left for AMS' goal, possibly offside but who cares! Brown played a great ball, he did very well on the stats today but can't agree he is one of our best players on the ball. He never seems sure what the best thing to do is, he hesitates and generally seems very nervy. Not ideal in his position, but a credit too him, a great ball off a short corner for Byrne's flick header to make it 3-1, and then exploiting the gaps in King's Lynn, who always play very openly, he looked to have taken a touch too many before finishing past the keeper for our fourth. Everything after that was pedestrian, easy, King's Lynn out of ideas and puff. Harriers knocking it around with ease.

Interesting to speak to King's Lynn fans after, who were a fantastic bunch and very nice at the street party a few of us gatecrashed afterwards, they were gushing with praise about Hemmo and wondered if we were worried about keeping him. They also seemed to have had the same fanbase debate about FT v PT and largely thought poorly of Cleeve.

We travelled well in good numbers too. Shame about a couple of those behind the goal - but alas.

Will see what happens with Brackley v Chester but suspect our allocation will be tighter. We have huge momentum whoever it is.

Can't think of a better performance in such an important game. Everyone 8s or 9s today. My MOTMs were Hemmings and Foulkes - who had his best game for the club. The sun shone, there was a cheap beer festival on and I managed to get a quick direct train back to London.

Well, hasn't it been the most lovely of days.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Grenoble Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Grenoble Harrier » Sun May 07, 2023 5:24 pm

This, from the Kings Lynn forum just now:

"Today though our limitations were brutally exposed by an excellent team who had obviously done their homework. They cut through our central midfield almost at will and exposed our lack of pace at the back.

Kidderminster were sharper had intensity and forward runners with and off the ball, so the player in possession always had good options: we did not do any of this with the exception of Stephens and I felt we were hanging on almost from the outset. In fact if it had not been for the excellent Dixon-Hodge the defeat could have been much heavier."

jamestheimpaler
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by jamestheimpaler » Sun May 07, 2023 5:25 pm

0-1 Brackley win... we go to St James Park

wymondham harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by wymondham harrier » Sun May 07, 2023 5:30 pm

We were rather good today - excellent Away following.

Phil, do let me know if you want further match reports from me next season.

😊

Edgar T Peaceful
1st team
1st team

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Sun May 07, 2023 6:09 pm

harry211 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:18 pm

Some great work down the left for AMS' goal, possibly offside but who cares! Brown played a great ball, he did very well on the stats today but can't agree he is one of our best players on the ball. He never seems sure what the best thing to do is, he hesitates and generally seems very nervy. Not ideal in his position, but a credit too him, a great ball off a short corner for Byrne's flick header to make it 3-1, and then exploiting the gaps in King's Lynn, who always play very openly, he looked to have taken a touch too many before finishing past the keeper for our fourth. Everything after that was pedestrian, easy, King's Lynn out of ideas and puff. Harriers knocking it around with ease.
Not my reading of him at all. I can agree with the common criticism that he's lightweight at this level (but tenacious nevertheless), but he's by far one of our more creative players. Penn clearly believes in him too.
Sam

wymondham harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by wymondham harrier » Sun May 07, 2023 6:14 pm

Edgar T Peaceful wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 6:09 pm
harry211 wrote:
Sun May 07, 2023 5:18 pm

Not my reading of him at all. I can agree with the common criticism that he's lightweight at this level (but tenacious nevertheless), but he's by far one of our more creative players. Penn clearly believes in him too.
Football is all about getting the best from different styles/abilities and optimising the blend and balance. Hard to knock Russ and his selection over the last 8-10 weeks.

maxspeed
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by maxspeed » Sun May 07, 2023 6:17 pm

De ja vue York City all over again, well done to all the team & management, first class. On to Brackley and keep believing.

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Sun May 07, 2023 6:19 pm

Wasn't lucky enough to see or listen to the game, unforunately. But stunnin win! Scoreline produced quite the double take from myself.

Thrilled with the Brackley draw, tbh. The playoff curse seems as large with them as any. Plus you wouldn't have thought much of a Twelfth Man to worry about. At least in comparison to Chester. Then there's the complete novice Gareth Dean in the dugout. Definitely will be seeking the final out.

wymondham harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by wymondham harrier » Sun May 07, 2023 6:26 pm

As an exile, I am not a ST holder at Aggborough. However, I shall be very happy to make use of any ticket for Brackley which might otherwise be going begging (with, of course, an appropriate donation from me to any charity). I know this is all unlikely, but no harm asking?