Euro 2016

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

How will we do in the Euro's?

Poll ended at Wed Jun 22, 2016 8:53 am

Go out 1st rd
20%
Progress further
5%
Into the quarter finals
45%
Or the semi finals
20%
Win the thing?
10%

Total votes: 20

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euro 2016

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jul 05, 2016 9:04 am

JAMES CHESTER
Born : Warrington, Cheshire
ASHLEY WILLIAMS
Born : Tamworth, Staffordshire
DAVID EDWARDS
Born : Pontesbury, Shropshire
ANDY KING
Born : Barnstaple, Devon
JONNY WILLIAMS
Born : Pembury, Kent
GEORGE WILLIAMS
Born : Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
SIMON CHURCH
Born : Amerhsam, Buckinghamshire
HAL ROBSON-KANU
Born : Acton, London
SAM VOKES
Born : Southampton, Hampshire
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:35 am

garthrockett wrote:JAMES CHESTER
Born : Warrington, Cheshire
ASHLEY WILLIAMS
Born : Tamworth, Staffordshire
DAVID EDWARDS
Born : Pontesbury, Shropshire
ANDY KING
Born : Barnstaple, Devon
JONNY WILLIAMS
Born : Pembury, Kent
GEORGE WILLIAMS
Born : Milton Keynes, Buckinghamshire
SIMON CHURCH
Born : Amerhsam, Buckinghamshire
HAL ROBSON-KANU
Born : Acton, London
SAM VOKES
Born : Southampton, Hampshire

Unbelievable,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I didn't realise so many of the Welsh team were actually English !

I wonder how many of the England team have Welsh ancestry - but would they have got in the Wales team :lol:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jul 05, 2016 11:02 am

From the Irish Times:

"Ireland have selected the second most amount of foreign-born players of any of the nations competing in the upcoming European Championships.

Martin O’Neill has called upon eight players born in the United Kingdom to represent the Republic of Ireland.
Even more reliant on English-born players, and the only competing nation to have more foreign born players than the Irish - Wales have nine players in their squad who were not born within their own borders.

Ireland’s eight players are Jonathan Walters, Ciaran Clark, Cyrus Christie and Richard Keogh - all born in England. Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy are both Scottish-born, while Shane Duffy and James McClean both qualify for the list as they were born in Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland have selected six players, five born in England and one - Alan Mannus - who is a Canadian by birth. England’s only foreign born senior player is Raheem Sterling, born in Jamaica; however 18 footballers born in England will be turning out for other nations in this year’s tournament.

With the same number of foreign-born players as Ireland is Albania, with six of their eight hailing from Switzerland. That includes Taulant Xhaka, who is a brother of Swiss midfielder and recent Arsenal signing Granit. The two nations, and brothers, meet in the group stages of the competition.
Turkey, with their heavy German-born contingent, and Portugal are next with seven players. Brazilian born Pepe being the most notable of those from Portugal.

Reigning champions Spain have just the one player, Bayern Munich’s Thiago Alcantara, born in Italy to Brazilian parents. While World Champions Germany’s sole representation on the list compiled by Ticket Compare is Lukas Podolski, who was born in Poland.

In all there are 12 players from Africa and six players from North and South America that have earned call-ups to nations competing in Euro 2016.
None of Slovakia , Czech Republic, Romania, Russia or Iceland contain players born outside of their own country.

Talking in his Paddy Power blog former Ireland international and manager Mick McCarthy says that the Irishness felt by Irish Internationals born abroad shouldn’t be questioned.

“My mother-in-law is 93 years old and originally from the Curragh in Kildare, and she sums it up perfectly: There are men from Ireland and then there are Irish men. That’s the way it is. When people questioned me about my Irishness I used to say to them, ‘If you left Ireland to live abroad and had children, and your son was good enough to represent Ireland in any sport, would you think he is Irish and able to play for them?’ Every single person would give me the same answer. Of course they’d let their son play for Ireland, and that’s exactly what I did and exactly what a lot of players are still doing. There’s no issue there.
“Ireland only get bashed with the ‘Non-Irish’ stick by the teams they’ve beaten, strangely enough! When I was playing there was myself, Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge, Chris Morris and plenty more who were born of Irish parents, but outside the island of Ireland. I tend to think as a player and a manager that you are accepted far quicker if you’re winning. If the team is doing well nobody cares, that’s the fickle nature of sport. It doesn’t matter where you are from or where you were born, as long as you’re winning.”

McCarthy, who managed Ireland between 1996 and 2002, also recalled how his first job as Ireland manager was to seek out players with Irish heritage:
“One of the first jobs I had as manager of the Ireland team was to write to every single club in England and Scotland to find out if there were any players of Irish descent that would qualify to play for the national team. The irony of that was the first reply I got, and it was a very polite reply it must be said, was from Glasgow Rangers telling me that they didn’t have any. To be honest I thought that but I sent the letter nevertheless.”

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Tue Jul 05, 2016 12:04 pm

garth

Thanks, I'm impressed with your choice of reading material,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Irish Times,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,ERrrrmmmmm :worthy:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jul 05, 2016 2:17 pm

Thanks, I'm impressed with your choice of reading material,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
"A man only learns in two ways- one by reading, and the other by association with smarter people. " :;

Charlie Sheen

Post by Charlie Sheen » Tue Jul 05, 2016 4:14 pm

England couldn't even beat the Yanks at the 2010 World Cup. That's how good they are!

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jul 07, 2016 8:17 am

Poor old Wales - never raised their game enough to trouble Portugal, one game too many - the players looked knackered.

But they can be proud of their achievements and come homes heroes.

:clap:

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Thu Jul 07, 2016 6:44 pm

garthrockett wrote:From the Irish Times:

"Ireland have selected the second most amount of foreign-born players of any of the nations competing in the upcoming European Championships.

Martin O’Neill has called upon eight players born in the United Kingdom to represent the Republic of Ireland.
Even more reliant on English-born players, and the only competing nation to have more foreign born players than the Irish - Wales have nine players in their squad who were not born within their own borders.

Ireland’s eight players are Jonathan Walters, Ciaran Clark, Cyrus Christie and Richard Keogh - all born in England. Aiden McGeady and James McCarthy are both Scottish-born, while Shane Duffy and James McClean both qualify for the list as they were born in Northern Ireland.

Northern Ireland have selected six players, five born in England and one - Alan Mannus - who is a Canadian by birth. England’s only foreign born senior player is Raheem Sterling, born in Jamaica; however 18 footballers born in England will be turning out for other nations in this year’s tournament.

With the same number of foreign-born players as Ireland is Albania, with six of their eight hailing from Switzerland. That includes Taulant Xhaka, who is a brother of Swiss midfielder and recent Arsenal signing Granit. The two nations, and brothers, meet in the group stages of the competition.
Turkey, with their heavy German-born contingent, and Portugal are next with seven players. Brazilian born Pepe being the most notable of those from Portugal.

Reigning champions Spain have just the one player, Bayern Munich’s Thiago Alcantara, born in Italy to Brazilian parents. While World Champions Germany’s sole representation on the list compiled by Ticket Compare is Lukas Podolski, who was born in Poland.

In all there are 12 players from Africa and six players from North and South America that have earned call-ups to nations competing in Euro 2016.
None of Slovakia , Czech Republic, Romania, Russia or Iceland contain players born outside of their own country.

Talking in his Paddy Power blog former Ireland international and manager Mick McCarthy says that the Irishness felt by Irish Internationals born abroad shouldn’t be questioned.

“My mother-in-law is 93 years old and originally from the Curragh in Kildare, and she sums it up perfectly: There are men from Ireland and then there are Irish men. That’s the way it is. When people questioned me about my Irishness I used to say to them, ‘If you left Ireland to live abroad and had children, and your son was good enough to represent Ireland in any sport, would you think he is Irish and able to play for them?’ Every single person would give me the same answer. Of course they’d let their son play for Ireland, and that’s exactly what I did and exactly what a lot of players are still doing. There’s no issue there.
“Ireland only get bashed with the ‘Non-Irish’ stick by the teams they’ve beaten, strangely enough! When I was playing there was myself, Ray Houghton, Andy Townsend, John Aldridge, Chris Morris and plenty more who were born of Irish parents, but outside the island of Ireland. I tend to think as a player and a manager that you are accepted far quicker if you’re winning. If the team is doing well nobody cares, that’s the fickle nature of sport. It doesn’t matter where you are from or where you were born, as long as you’re winning.”

McCarthy, who managed Ireland between 1996 and 2002, also recalled how his first job as Ireland manager was to seek out players with Irish heritage:
“One of the first jobs I had as manager of the Ireland team was to write to every single club in England and Scotland to find out if there were any players of Irish descent that would qualify to play for the national team. The irony of that was the first reply I got, and it was a very polite reply it must be said, was from Glasgow Rangers telling me that they didn’t have any. To be honest I thought that but I sent the letter nevertheless.”

Of course then there's the Roy Keane opinion something about "you English can't" or maybe I misheard what was said to McCarthy at the 2002 World Cup :shock:

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Thu Jul 07, 2016 10:03 pm

I wonder if Arsenal can afford Antoine Griezmann,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,what a player.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Mon Jul 11, 2016 8:51 am

I for one did not expect Portugal to win - but there you go, anything can happen in footy.

Thought they just about edged the game even without their star player they were well organised and kept the chances
for France to score down to a minimum, though maybe rode their luck at times.

Eder took his goal well and looked a handful after he came on, even though he struggled for Swansea.

Really impressed with Rui Patricio - will we see him in the Premier league at Man City??

Interesting that several players seemed to raise their game for their country above their 'normal' club level
Sissoko being the prime example,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,shame England couldn't manage it.

I see 'arry is now favourite to be the next interim England boss,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,a BIG Errmmmmm !!!

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:08 pm

A poor tournament in terms of quality, goals and excitement.

Only 108 goals in 51 matches.

Not one outstanding team.

Germany were the best team, for me, but got beaten by France.

And France better than Portugal but got beaten too. That is knock-out football for you.

So much hangs on one mistake, one dodgy refereeing decision, and in many cases penalty kicks after extra time.

Harry Redknapp? Have you got a source, I can't see anything?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 12, 2016 7:12 am

Thread split to the 'New England Manager' thread so I'll close this one later on today.

Please put your manager thoughts into the other one please.