Ironside off to Stevenage

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Ironside off to Stevenage

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:52 pm

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Re: Ironside off to Stevenage

Post by Zorro » Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

I feel I was mid sold a season ticket contrary to trades descriptions act.

‘Ironside and Croasdale etc etc already signed up’ implying that they would be playing for us this season.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:12 am

Zorro wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

‘Ironside and Croasdale etc etc already signed up’ implying that they would be playing for us this season.
TBF - it could have been any of the squad, although I guess the enquiries may have made a while back so I guess you have a point.

For Nuneaton read KHFC :roll:

And I thought promotion was a priority.

For all the investment that CG has put into the club, which we are most grateful, it seems the playing budget this season has been 'modified' or maybe that's just my imagination.

And I thought promotion was THE priority,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Oh sorry I'm repeating myself :roll:
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:21 am

Zorro wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 9:35 am

So can a club not sell players after you've bought your season ticket?

Should Real Madrid refund all their fans who bought tickets before they sold Ronaldo to Juventus?

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:30 am

It wasn't that long ago that there were comments from the eternal optimists that this pre season wasn't going to be a drama like the one before with the majority of the squad being signed up - the hiatus of signing last minute trialists (I won't say 'wannabee') wasn't going to happen again.

The churn goes on .

Next please : phone_1 :
The trouble with most of us is that we would rather be ruined by praise than saved by criticism. ~Norman Vincent Peale

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:48 am

I don't see selling players, even key players, as a drama, it is just how the club operates and has said that is the planned strategy mentioned many times.

I find it amusing how those who constantly talk the club down and make out how every little thing is a crisis then expect the club to have the power to hold on to every quality player for eternity even when clubs in the football league are interested and offering big money.

And heaven forbid we are forced to look at players on trial who are criticised as "wannabees" for some reason I don't understand. I'm glad the club never signed that wannabee Ryan Croasdale after he was on trial here, Joe Lolley, Jamille Matt, Matty Blair etc or the countless other wannabees that we had on trial...

Tamworth Harrier
1st team
1st team

Post by Tamworth Harrier » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm

I think what Mike is trying to say is that we were supposed to be learning from the mistakes of last pre-season where we went into the season unprepared. Selling your top striker three weeks before the start of the season is hardly going to help. At least selling Snoupy and Crosdale weeks ago gave you a chance to get in replacements.

georged123
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by georged123 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:29 pm

Tamworth Harrier wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 12:16 pm
I think what Mike is trying to say is that we were supposed to be learning from the mistakes of last pre-season where we went into the season unprepared. Selling your top striker three weeks before the start of the season is hardly going to help. At least selling Snoupy and Crosdale weeks ago gave you a chance to get in replacements.
Who is to say this is not expected and plans are not in place? There have been rumours of clubs interested in Ironside for ages and we have already signed Ashley Chambers who looks like a suitable replacement.

It would be disappointing to lose Ironside but no need to make out it is the end of the world.

tomtom93
Reserves
Reserves

Post by tomtom93 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:30 pm

georged123 wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 11:48 am
I don't see selling players, even key players, as a drama, it is just how the club operates and has said that is the planned strategy mentioned many times.

I find it amusing how those who constantly talk the club down and make out how every little thing is a crisis then expect the club to have the power to hold on to every quality player for eternity even when clubs in the football league are interested and offering big money.

And heaven forbid we are forced to look at players on trial who are criticised as "wannabees" for some reason I don't understand. I'm glad the club never signed that wannabee Ryan Croasdale after he was on trial here, Joe Lolley, Jamille Matt, Matty Blair etc or the countless other wannabees that we had on trial...
Absolutely spot on. You summed up exactly what I was going to say.

Zorro
1st team
1st team

Post by Zorro » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:57 pm

It’s not that players shouldn’t be sold but the signing of new contracts by existing players was a misleading inducement for the purchase of 2018/19 season tickets

Jasper
1st team
1st team

Post by Jasper » Wed Jul 18, 2018 4:30 pm

I renewed my season ticket on the basis that I support Kidderminster Harriers. Nothing more complicated than that. At my age I like to keep it simple.

redandwhitemike
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by redandwhitemike » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:25 pm

So the previous pre-season was a well planned exercise in how to not hit the ground running,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I could have used a more precise word than 'Drama' - nevertheless the memories of the dismantling of that squad are still fresh, not least the 'mistake' that was the release of Keith Lowe.

This pre-season has a similar feel to it with a significant number of players either allowed to leave (not wanted) or sold to keep the ship afloat, and my guess is there may be a couple more on their way (Ironside and Horsfall) if the rumours are correct.

Who knows - NM may well have chosen to stamp his own mark on the squad - but it still means this team has to bed in quickly to get Harriers off to a better start in the pursuit of success.

Whilst the defence should be a stronger unit for the familiar faces that remain, the midfield has a 'new' look to it, with none of the flair from last season.

And IF Joe does go - Harriers will lack any real aerial presence up front - not sure how that will work in NN.

Still I'm sure NM is no mug - he can see the same picture.

I guess CG has to wait for the ink to dry before bringing in replacements.

EDIT Nowhere have I described things as being in 'crisis' - once again misquoted :roll:

Harrier1994
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harrier1994 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:38 pm

I think some fans are forgetting the level we're at. All non league players see their future playing in the football league not in the North.

We didn't just lose Sonupe and Croasdale for nothing we sold them. The same could potentially be said for Ironside and Horsfall IF they go. And we could stand in their way and block any moves but what would be the point? If Horsfall and Ironside then are unhappy playing here because we've stopped their progression and they then let their contracts run out and we lose them on a free I guarantee people would be moaning then. This club cannot win with the decisions they make in some fans eyes.

Harry Aire
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Aire » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:44 pm

Something odd about this. If the deal was done by yesterday, why was he playing for us last night? Similar point about Horsfall. Clubs don't usually like their new players risking injury with another club.

As for disappointment, I sympathise with my fellow S/T holder. This has become a pretty awful start to ma season. However, I would suggest that the real error is in going into print claiming we have a stable side. There is no stability at this level. We are a selling club vulnerable to all predators. Or to put it another way, we're just a stepping-stone to most of these players and they can't be blamed for that. Things have certainly changed since the days when Brindley, Weir, Ocker, etc etc were there season after season - and I don't think those days'll ever come back.

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Wed Jul 18, 2018 5:47 pm

Is the link not just chatter on a messageboard? Has Ironside actually gone anywhere?

Nothing on our site?
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.