Ed Williams

Everything Harriers and football related.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Ed Williams

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:16 pm

tomtom93 wrote:
Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:45 am
Zorro wrote:
Tue Sep 25, 2018 8:56 pm
It's quite apparent to me that it's time the 'owner' (50%+ of the shares acquired through capitalising loans etc) put his cards on the table:

a) Is he in business with KHFC to maximise his return on selling players and maxismise revenue from the academy for his and his family's benefit;
or
b) does he want to retain the good players the best he can for he long term success and benefit of KHFC ??

Given this is the best season we seem to be having for many a year, and with such a great opportunity, the outcome of the Ed Williams situation will show his true colours surely? We now have the monies coming in from the academy, so presumably we should have gone beyond having to sell our best players to keep the club afloat? What is the aim here? Staging post for wannabees or long term ambitious successful football club?
c) He is a human being and would respect the wishes of a player that wanted to leave to better his career, play at a higher level and earn more money for him and his family.

No way as fans should we be expecting the club to prevent players from potentially progressing in their careers.

It can be interpreted anyway folk like - not standing in a players way - club need to keep the best players if they are serious about promotion etc. etc. but one thing I am sure of is that some will be dusting off their prayer mats in the HOPE that a club will come along with some serious cash to give one or two players currently on our books the chance to progress their careers in the very near future.

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Thu Oct 11, 2018 12:56 am

Talented players will come and go. You can't keep them at this level regardless of contracts. With his performances and goals Ed W is playing himself into a position where he is the master of his own destiny and I don't see how fans bickering is going to affect that. Like with Joe Lolley just enjoy the ride while you can.

Mac
Reserves
Reserves

Post by Mac » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 pm

The guy is pure class. I can only assume he had a slight injury for the first 3 games as he was not in our starting 11.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:25 pm

The thoughts of CG:

http://www.harriers.co.uk/news/2018/10/15/chairman-deals-must-be-right/

Not so sure about the reference to Ousmane Fané. I thought that was a right old cock up.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:35 pm

This was the most interesting point, to me....

'Williams signed for Harriers in the summer, the terms within his contract ensuring that the player is committed to Aggborough for at least the next 18 months. '

So, a 12 month contract with Harriers having an option to extend?
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:38 pm

Yes, the club have the option to activate that 12 month extension, but they are also looking to extend his contract anyway.

Good to hear CG coming out and saying this.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:02 pm

Sorry but did Williams sign a contract for 12 months with an option to have it extended by 6 months - my understanding of Cal's post or did he sign for 6 months with the Club having an option to extend it by a further 12 months - my understanding of aberred's post.

Either way if he keeps this form up he will be off to new pastures - I just hope we have secured promotion by then or have negotiated his move so he can help us achieve that. The Matty Blairs, Joe Lolleys and Ed Williams's are the gems that give us great hopes of progressing through the leagues - well one or two steps perhaps which would be more than acceptable.

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 pm

He’s effectively half way through a 12 month deal, so six months left, plus the 12month option which will kick in at the end of the season.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:08 pm

Great news, and a shrewd move by CG et al. - but the corporate stuff about the Opta award/ranking seemed a bit OTT and as though he was trying to sell the club to us.

Wonder if Williams has a release clause built in?
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

aberred
1st team
1st team

Post by aberred » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:14 pm

I think he’s just trying to rally against claims on here that we’ll be looking to sell Williams on the cheap.
Mentioning the Opta link is just a good advert for the club again.

I think some people on here are getting confused with “finances are tight” and “the finances are dire”. The latter I don’t believe to be true. Yes money is tight, but that doesn’t make things desperate.

jim mankey
1st team
1st team

Post by jim mankey » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:40 pm

I'd be very surprised if any chairman said anything other than that "finances are tight", reassuring to know that Ed is/can/will be under contract for the next eighteen months, he won't be going for £50 and a set of track suits at the end of the season.

HarrierN2
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by HarrierN2 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Excellent news! That means that Ed is effectively on a 2 year contract as we'd obviously want to extend it. It means he won't go for cheap, as he wouldn't go for free at the end of season in any case.

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm

Amazes me that people can doubt CG's ability to manage contracts.

Whether you like him or not, you don't become an agent for some of the top names without knowing what you are doing.
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:55 pm

aberred wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:55 pm
He’s effectively half way through a 12 month deal, so six months left, plus the 12month option which will kick in at the end of the season.
Thank you for the clarity - lets hope he is still here in 12 months time helping us towards the National League title and promotion to League 2.

pershoreharrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by pershoreharrier » Mon Oct 15, 2018 7:46 pm

Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Mon Oct 15, 2018 6:42 pm
Amazes me that people can doubt CG's ability to manage contracts.

Whether you like him or not, you don't become an agent for some of the top names without knowing what you are doing.
Indeed Cal - I have been waiting to see the player transfer money roll in with a professional agent at the helm and to be honest I am surprised to have seen such modest success in that area of the business.

The previous amateurs under the guidance of and with the assistance others pulled of some astonishing deals whether it was the transfer of Joe Lolley, Jamille Matt and several others which brought very large sums into the Club.

Perhaps it will all come to pass in the next year or so?