History and origins of the 'Cow Shed' (east) side.

Memories and obituaries to former players and fans will be moved into here. Any Harriers memorabilia can go in here too. Also if you have old shirts, programmes or photographs etc that you want to dispose of or want.

Moderators: harry211, Phil, harriershane, garthrockett

London_Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Re: History and origins of the 'Cow Shed' (east) side.

Post by London_Harrier » Tue Feb 12, 2019 9:21 am

I believe the attached pictures were taken in May 1989 during the KHFC v Aylesbury United game. You can see the end stands under construction.

Quality of images isn't great as I was 13 years old with a point and shoot camera!
Aggborough 1989_.jpg
Aggborough 1989.jpg
Aggborough 1989 (2).jpg

Cal's Spongebag
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Cal's Spongebag » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:01 am

London_Harrier wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:09 pm
Cal's Spongebag wrote:
Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:12 pm
Also from Colin's book...

'A combined Kidderminster team had been assembled to play Walsall 1st Team to mark the opening of the new ground at Aggborough (the present ground). This match took place on Monday evening May 24th 1890'
Thanks again for this. I was aware of the Walsall game but my own primary source research presents a slightly confusing picture.

The Walsall game

Both the County Advertiser & Herald for Staffordshire and Worcestershire and County Express have reports of the (amalgamated) Kidderminster v Walsall Town Swifts game on 24th May 1890, though neither mention the new ground or that it was the opening game at Aggborough.

Official/Formal Opening (?)

The Birmingham Daily Post, 21st July 1890 has the following report

“Since the two chief football clubs of Kidderminster decided to combine their forces for the purpose of making one thoroughly representative team, they have lost no time in getting everything into order for the approaching season. Within the last few, months they have acquired possession of a new ground at Aggborough, not more than a mile from Kidderminster Station, and at considerable expense and trouble have converted it into one of the best appointed athletic and football grounds in the kingdom. The land, some five or six acres in extent, has been boarded round, new turf has been laid, a grand- stand, dressing pavilion, and other necessary offices have been erected, and last, but not least, an excellent cinder track for cycling-slightly over four laps to the mile, has been laid down, and, when properly matured, promises to be one of the best tracks so the Midlands. The opening of the new ground was celebrated on Saturday under the most favourable circumstances by the annual sports of the Kidderminster Harriers. The attendance must have numbered close on six thousand, and the grand stands and reserved enclosures were all well filled.

First football match at Aggborough (?)

The Birmingham Daily Post, 04th September 1890 has the following report:

"Kidderminster opened their new ground at Aggborough last night, Oldbury (Town) being their opponents. The carpet people played their Scotch importations (Campbell and Shields), and they created a very good impression. The home team eventually won by 3 goals to 0”

Of course, none of the above means that the Walsall game wasn’t the first to be played at Aggborough, but it seems odd that the opening of the ground isn’t referenced where you would expect it to be.

Does Colin's book provide a source for the Walsall match being the first at Aggborough?
Unfortunately there is no source mentioned in the book re the Walsall match Aggborough. I presume you are aware that there was an Old Aggborough (at the site of the old college) and a New Aggborough (current site). At least, according to the book!

If you would like to PM me with a little more information about yourself, I might be persuaded to loan you the book. :)
There are people out there who provide constructive criticism and I thank them. Then there are people who criticize solely because it makes them feel smarter. - Benjamin Franklin

spitalfields
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by spitalfields » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 am

Delph Harrier wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 am
... am i right in saying the Main Stand was built around 1994?
Yes, summer of 1994, straight after we won the conference. The fact it wasn't done earlier meant we were denied promotion (I believe the work had been scheduled but then delayed due to our FA Cup run- but I don't know if that's the full story).

The new stand was ready for the start of the season, unlike Northampton's, who would have been the team relegated had we gone up. Not that I'm bitter or anything...

London_Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by London_Harrier » Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:45 am

Indeed.

When I was researching the early days of the club, it was initially very confusing to read about two different Aggboroughs. Similarly, the Rugby team (circa 1880) was initially run under the auspices of the Kidderminster Harriers and Football Club, which threw me a bit.

It's apparent in the early days of the current ground, Athletic meets were absolutely huge. One newspaper report from 1892 states a crowd of over 8000 attended the annual Kidderminster Carpet Weavers athletic day at Aggborough.

I'll drop you a PM :)

London_Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by London_Harrier » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:06 am

KHFC Mascot 1988.jpg
Here's another pic of the Cow Shed.

The fixture is Kidderminster Harriers v Maidstone United , March 19th 1988.

I am the mascot on the left. My friend Kevin is on the right. I seem to recall the PA, Captain Crazy, being dead impressed we'd come "all the way from Ludlow."

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:31 am

Judging by the mud you're stood in I take it the game wasn't played. If it was it didn't last 90 minutes.

London_Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by London_Harrier » Tue Feb 12, 2019 12:15 pm

Phil wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 11:31 am
Judging by the mud you're stood in I take it the game wasn't played. If it was it didn't last 90 minutes.
Well, Kiddy won 2-1 and the match played to a finish. Howell and Brazier scored. Attendance: 1239.

Some pitches in the 1980s didn't bother with luxuries like grass :D

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:31 pm

Great picture.....proper legend is Graham Mckenzie.....one of the last truly fat footballers; a Premiership brain trapped in a Sunday league body.

Respect.....
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Mystic
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mystic » Tue Feb 12, 2019 4:38 pm

Absolutely loving this thread especially the pictures from the late 80's which are triggering great memories of being about 11 or 12 years old and going to the Harriers with my Dad!!

Delph Harrier
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Delph Harrier » Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:36 am

spitalfields wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 10:43 am
Delph Harrier wrote:
Tue Feb 12, 2019 8:36 am
... am i right in saying the Main Stand was built around 1994?
Yes, summer of 1994, straight after we won the conference. The fact it wasn't done earlier meant we were denied promotion (I believe the work had been scheduled but then delayed due to our FA Cup run- but I don't know if that's the full story).

The new stand was ready for the start of the season, unlike Northampton's, who would have been the team relegated had we gone up. Not that I'm bitter or anything...
Thanks Spitalfields and London Harrier for the info, much appreciated - great thread by the way.

I understand CG's reasoning for the proposed new Stadium and the way it will link in with the University side of things, but, not to mention the excellent train links, Aggborough is a ground steeped in tradition, is two thirds seated and more than fit for the EFL right the way upto League One standard.

I for one would be disappointed to see the club re locate.

London_Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by London_Harrier » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:23 am

Here is a photo of the Cow Shed in the 1970s (minus roof that blew off in the wind)
Cow Shed 1970s.JPG

London_Harrier
Youth team
Youth team

Post by London_Harrier » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:32 am

And, while we are travelling down memory lane, the main stand (opened in 1935), shown in the 1970s and 1980s.

I have a vague recollection that the seats were added in the late 1980s. I'm sure prior to this it was just rows of benches?
Aggborough 1988_1.jpg
Aggborough 1970s.JPG
Aggborough 1988.jpg
Last edited by London_Harrier on Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Wed Feb 13, 2019 9:55 am

I recall the heady smell of rancid chip fat and deep heat liniment that used to waft out of the kitchen and dressing room windows at the front of the main stand standing area!!
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022