Euros 2020

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Who will win the trophy?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Italy
33%
Switzerland
No votes
Turkey
No votes
Wales
4%
Belgium
15%
Denmark
No votes
Finland
No votes
Russia
No votes
Austria
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Nth Macedonia
No votes
Ukraine
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Czech Republic
No votes
England
19%
Scotland
No votes
Poland
No votes
Slovakia
No votes
Spain
4%
Sweden
4%
France
19%
Germany
4%
Hungary
No votes
Portugal
No votes

Total votes: 27

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Euros 2020

Post by Phil » Sun Jun 06, 2021 11:20 am

Let's see if we can get this going.

We take on Romania today in the final friendly before it all starts this coming Friday. Last Tuesday against Austria was a bit dire so can we turn it on today and get going with a bang?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/european-championship

And for a bit of fun I'll do a poll.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Re: Euros 2020

Post by harry211 » Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:49 pm

I think we'll either go out in the group stages and despite all the talent we've got, it just won't click - or we'll win the thing. Best attacking line I think we've ever had. It's only at centre back that we're really suspect. Big fingers crossed, looking forward to it.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Sun Jun 06, 2021 2:26 pm

Heart says England, head says France.

Really looking forward to watching the tourney though as my two lads (8 & 10) are really into it and it’s going be great watching with them
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:35 pm

If I'm honest I've lost interest in the whole enterprise.
Combination of lockdown no-football, the continuing moral vacuum of FIFA, UEFA and the FA, and the selfish self-interest of Super League clubs.

Much rather be sat in the cold breathing in that heady non-league mix of bovril and embrocation. Roll on the start of proper football.
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:05 pm

Another below par performance. Worrying about the lack of action up front again.

Jordan Henderson taking penalties. Why?

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Not sure why, DCL went to get the ball as Henderson took it.
Bizarre how Southgate has included players in the last two friendlies who aren’t even going to the tournament ie white and Lingard.

Grealish has to start, him foden kane and Mount bundles of talent and goals going forward. Would love to see Bellingham with Rice also. Back four picks itself Walker stones McGuire and shaw. As Harry said only the centre back area we are suspect.
Be interesting who he goes with in goal. Probably Pickford.
This is the best chance we have had winning a tournement since 2006 where we had Sven putting square pegs in round holes. Not a massive fan of Southgate with his pragmatic style, right back fettish and now playing players in friendlies prior to a tournement who aren’t even in the squad. He must get this right

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Sun Jun 06, 2021 7:18 pm

garthrockett wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:35 pm
Combination of lockdown no-football, the continuing moral vacuum of FIFA, UEFA and the FA, and the selfish self-interest of Super League clubs.

Much rather be sat in the cold breathing in that heady non-league mix of bovril and embrocation. Roll on the start of proper football.
Bet you are fun at parties

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:56 pm

Bet you are fun at parties
I havnt been able to have one of those for a year either ......... :roll:

Enjoy the tournament.

Sheffield Harrier
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by Sheffield Harrier » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 am

garthrockett wrote:
Sun Jun 06, 2021 3:35 pm

I've not watched any of the recent friendlies (life gets in the way) and, embarrassingly, have limited knowledge on some of our players - I won't try and pretend I do unlike the army of football experts that come out when a tournament comes along.

Haven't we had the "best team in a generation" for the last twenty five years? I'll be trying to ignore the hype but yes, will probably watch a lot of games. If only for Roy Keane's punditry.
I do want England to do well but agree with the sentiments above regarding FIFA, super-league etc. Football at that level seems more remote than ever. And the continued booing of taking the knee and the inevitable column inches and social media furore caused by this simple action (the knee, not booing) is just a sad reminder of some of the social issues we have.

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:40 pm

Sheffield Harrier wrote:
Mon Jun 07, 2021 8:07 am
And the continued booing of taking the knee and the inevitable column inches and social media furore caused by this simple action (the knee, not booing) is just a sad reminder of some of the social issues we have.
Depressing and will probably be the story of the tournament for England.

We have an exciting squad but the shakey defence means we might have to go three at the back which - paradoxically - means we can't play as many of our good forward players as we may like.

FWIW here's my two teams one with a back three and the other with a back 4:

Pickford (for his kicking as much as anything)
Walker - Stones - White (Maguire not fit. White used to playing in a back three)
James - Phillips - Rice - Chilwell
Mount - Kane - Foden (or Grealish)

--
If everyone were fit I might play:

Pickford
James - Stones - Maguire - Chilwell
Henderson - Mount - Rice
Sancho - Kane - Foden (or Grealish)

Bellingham, Saka, Rashford (plus Foden / Grealish / Sancho) seeing plenty of sub action. - with 5 subs we can have 'starters and fininshers'.

Hard to squeeze the attacking talent in!
Sam

TWG85
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by TWG85 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:30 pm

Dear England,

It has been an extremely difficult year. Everyone in this country has been directly affected by isolation and loss. But we have also seen countless examples of heroism and sacrifice. It’s given us all a new understanding of the fragility of life and what really matters. When you think of the grand scheme of things, perhaps football doesn’t seem so important. And what I want to speak about today is much bigger than football.

As we go into this summer, I know that there will be a lot of emotion tied up in the Euros, and in this England team. I can’t possibly hope to speak for an entire country, but I would like to share a few things with you, as we begin this journey.

There’s something I tell our players before every England game, and the reason that I repeat it is because I really believe it with all my heart.

I tell them that when you go out there, in this shirt, you have the opportunity to produce moments that people will remember forever.

You are a part of an experience that lasts in the collective consciousness of our country.

We saw that during Russia 2018, with the street parties, the barbecues and with every drop of beer thrown into the air in celebration. When England play, it’s not a few thousand — or even a few million — watching on subscription. You are representing more than 50 million people.

You remember where you were watching England games. And who you were watching with. And who you were at the time.

The first England match I really remember watching was in the 1982 World Cup, when I was 11. It was the first World Cup England had qualified for in my lifetime and I was obsessed. I had the wall chart, ready to fill in with every result, every goalscorer, every detail.

I rushed home from school for England’s opener against France to see Bryan Robson score after just 27 seconds! To witness that as a young Manchester United-supporting midfielder whose hero was Robson … well, it’s safe to say I was hooked.

Later that same year, I watched Luther Blissett get a hat trick in a 9-0 win over Luxembourg. That specific result might have been forgotten by many but it really stuck for me.

Every game, no matter the opposition, has the potential to create a lifelong memory for an England fan somewhere.

Why do we care so much?

Like with our own memories of watching England, everyone has a different idea of what it actually means to be English. What pride means.

For me, personally, my sense of identity and values is closely tied to my family and particularly my granddad. He was a fierce patriot and a proud military man, who served during World War II.

The idea of representing “Queen and country” has always been important to me. We do pageantry so well in Britain, and, growing up, things like the Queen’s silver jubilee and royal weddings had an impact on me.

Because of my granddad, I’ve always had an affinity for the military and service in the name of your country — though the consequence of my failure in representing England will never be as high as his. My granddad’s values were instilled in me from a young age and I couldn’t help but think of him when I lined up to sing the national anthem before my first international caps.

My belief is that everyone has that pride. And that includes the players.

What is sometimes forgotten is just how much it means to the players.

Players are fans too, after all. That’s how it starts. It starts with kids sitting in front of TVs, with wall charts and heroes.

Undoubtedly, we’re in a different era now, where footballers aren’t as accessible to fans as they once were. They don’t ride the same bus home from games, or meet in the pub for a pint and a post-match analysis.

But, despite all the changes in modern football, what cannot be questioned about the current generation of England players is their pride in representing this country.

This idea that some players don’t know what it means to play for England — or don’t care — has become something of a false narrative.

You don’t need to dig deep to realise that.

You only need to see what I see when an under-15 comes into St. George’s Park for the first time, or when a senior player arrives on their first call-up. The pride for them, their families and their communities back home is huge.

The journey to earn an England cap is an incredibly difficult one, regardless of background or circumstance.

Only around 1,200 players have represented England at senior men’s level. Ever.

It’s a profound privilege. Don’t forget, many of our lads started out at Football League clubs like Barnsley, MK Dons and Sheffield United. Their backgrounds are humble. For them to make it to this point as one of the chosen few in England’s history … well, it simply doesn't happen without pride.

This is a special group. Humble, proud and liberated in being their true selves.

Our players are role models. And, beyond the confines of the pitch, we must recognise the impact they can have on society. We must give them the confidence to stand up for their teammates and the things that matter to them as people.

I have never believed that we should just stick to football.

I know my voice carries weight, not because of who I am but because of the position that I hold. At home, I’m below the kids and the dogs in the pecking order but publicly I am the England men’s football team manager. I have a responsibility to the wider community to use my voice, and so do the players.

It’s their duty to continue to interact with the public on matters such as equality, inclusivity and racial injustice, while using the power of their voices to help put debates on the table, raise awareness and educate.

Social media has been a key resource in giving our players a platform and has been a positive tool in so many ways. In fact, I feel like this generation of England players is closer to the supporters than they have been for decades. Despite the polarisation we see in society, these lads are on the same wavelength as you on many issues.

That said, there are times when my parental instincts kick in. I can’t help it. After all, I’m old enough to be a father to most of my players!

I see players scrolling on their phones straight after the final whistle and I think … Hmmm, is that a particularly good idea?

Reading abusive comments on Twitter or Instagram is never going to help performance.

There are genuine risks for our players online and I will always want to protect them, but I would never put rules on how or when they use their accounts while on England duty. I trust them and know they are mature enough to make their own decisions, to do what’s right for their mental health and to keep being a force for good as we strive for a better society.

The last 18 months have put added pressure on everyone, I know. Venting that might have taken place while walking out of the stadium, or in the pub has been transferred online. I get that. However, there are things I will never understand.

Why would you tag someone in on a conversation that is abusive?

Why would you choose to insult somebody for something as ridiculous as the colour of their skin?

Why?

Unfortunately for those people that engage in that kind of behaviour, I have some bad news. You’re on the losing side. It’s clear to me that we are heading for a much more tolerant and understanding society, and I know our lads will be a big part of that.

It might not feel like it at times, but it’s true. The awareness around inequality and the discussions on race have gone to a different level in the last 12 months alone.

I am confident that young kids of today will grow up baffled by old attitudes and ways of thinking.

For many of that younger generation, your notion of Englishness is quite different from my own. I understand that, too.

I understand that on this island, we have a desire to protect our values and traditions — as we should — but that shouldn’t come at the expense of introspection and progress.

Regardless of your upbringing and politics, what is clear is that we are an incredible nation — relative to our size and population — that has contributed so much to the arts, science and sport.

We do have a special identity and that remains a powerful motivator.

In a funny way, I see the same Englishness represented by the fans who protested against the Super League. We are independent thinkers. We speak out on the issues that matter to us and we are proud of that.

Of course, my players and I will be judged on winning matches. Only one team can win the Euros. We have never done it before and we are desperate to do it for the first time.

Believe me.

But, the reality is that the result is just a small part of it. When England play, there's much more at stake than that.

It’s about how we conduct ourselves on and off the pitch, how we bring people together, how we inspire and unite, how we create memories that last beyond the 90 minutes. That last beyond the summer. That last forever.

I think about all the young kids who will be watching this summer, filling out their first wall charts. No matter what happens, I just hope that their parents, teachers and club managers will turn to them and say, “Look. That’s the way to represent your country. That’s what England is about. That is what’s possible.”

If we can do that, it will be a summer to be proud of.

Yours,

Gareth Southgate

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:35 pm

Don`t remember having such an abundance of good players in all positions to choose from. Unfortunately, we just can`t defend, despite apparent quality defenders.

Definite starters for me, Kane & Grealish.

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:44 pm

The Southgate piece above is great. Brilliant and articulate.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Tue Jun 08, 2021 9:32 pm

I can't recall ever being less bothered about a tournament and the England team in general as I am now.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Tue Jun 08, 2021 10:23 pm

I can't recall ever being less bothered about a tournament and the England team in general as I am now.
I'm not the only one then! :)
I don't know what it is, maybe its an effect of lockdown, a realisation that given life over the past year football is not really that important, or a increasing jaundiced view of professional sport as I get older, or maybe a combination of all of these, but I really can't summon much enthusiasm for the whole undertaking.
It doesnt help sitting through the recent harrowing documentaries on historic child abuse in British Youth football, reading about the human cost of putting on the Qatar World Cup, or this week's C4 programme on the financial clout betting companies have in UK football.
Add to that the Euro Super League affair, the divisive argument over politicization, the mess VAR has made of simply enjoying a goal, and the impending financial melt down of many clubs post-lockdown, and its enough to make anyone a hardened cynic.

I can't wait for the proper football in August :scarf: !!