Euros 2020

All discussion about any England tournaments in here please. World Cups, Euro's etc

Moderator: Phil

Who will win the trophy?

Poll ended at Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:00 pm

Italy
33%
Switzerland
No votes
Turkey
No votes
Wales
4%
Belgium
15%
Denmark
No votes
Finland
No votes
Russia
No votes
Austria
No votes
Netherlands
No votes
Nth Macedonia
No votes
Ukraine
No votes
Croatia
No votes
Czech Republic
No votes
England
19%
Scotland
No votes
Poland
No votes
Slovakia
No votes
Spain
4%
Sweden
4%
France
19%
Germany
4%
Hungary
No votes
Portugal
No votes

Total votes: 27

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Re: Euros 2020

Post by Phil » Tue Jun 29, 2021 6:13 pm

jamestheimpaler wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:59 pm
Phil wrote:
Tue Jun 29, 2021 5:51 pm
For Gods sake get Grealish and Calvert-Lewin on. Kane just isn't with it and we need someone to run at them.
For some inexplicable reason DCL is not on the bench today...
Just realised.

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:23 am

Well that was fun!

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 10:02 am

Harry Err wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:23 am
Well that was fun!
Agree. Will post some thoughts later, but I'm still exhausted from it.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

tonythescout
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by tonythescout » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:19 pm

Was up in arms over the line up but hats off to GS, seemed to got it right. Grealish came on and changed the game, Kane seemed to act like a centre forward, staying central, showing for the ball, holding it laying it off as soon as JG was bought on. 70 mins prior, him and Stirling were utterly dreadful. Philips and Rice were beasts second half and showed brilliant maturity despite their limited international experience and that they were both on a yellow card. Pickford again assured and didnt let us down when called upon, two brilliant stops. Back 3 superb. Dropping an inform Mings for Maguire has paid off thus far for GS.
Still a long way to go, not been impressed much with Ukraine in the two games I've seen them but they are game and work hard. Be a tough one Saturday night, particularly away from home comforts.
PS what an atmosphere. Just watching the replays of limbs in the crowd after the goals bring tears to the eye. Normality approaching!

sandman
1st team
1st team

Post by sandman » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:16 pm

We were clinical, Germany for once weren't. Grealish should be involved as much as possible. I think we got away with the back 3/5 a bit though they played well enough individually and improved as a unit. It's the best Ukraine side I've seen so we will need to be on it on Saturday.

Medieval
1st team
1st team

Post by Medieval » Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:19 pm

Can`t share the feelings over GS. All the talk of us being fearless, yes the players, but not GS. What a psychological blow for us to change formation for this game, especially with an additional defender.

I know people will say we won so he got it right, but it could easily have been so different....

harry211
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by harry211 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 9:04 pm

Interesting to read the above, after having been at the game.

In a way, the above posters are right. History is written by the winners. And we won. So therefore, Southgate is a genius - or so some would have you believe. I'd shouted myself hoarse by half time yesterday, mainly directed at Sterling and Kane (I missed the former's run before half time, and Kane not reacting quickly enough). I felt we weren't creating enough or going forward with enough urgency. I sat for 87 minutes waiting for a sucker punch, which Muller nearly provided, expecting to walk away rueing Southgate not setting his side up to attack more, with more guile, more Grealish.

Yet reflecting afterwards and in the day since, I think he got it absolutely right. What you might not have seen on TV was that our back three were fantastic. Werner barely got a kick, and the one chance he did get, the angle had been cut superbly allowing Pickford to make a good save (although the ball was heading towards his legs). The free kick conceded early on was just jitters from players. Once we settled in, the German front line barely got a kick, barely got a chance (unless Raheem Sterling played them through). As soon as they got the ball forward, Rice or Phillips swarmed, smothered the play, and any high balls were dealt with brilliantly by Stones/Maguire/Walker. It was a fantastic exercise in pressing and stifling the opposition. If you think we're angry, imagine how German fans felt last night or feel today, we didn't allow them to get going. Defensively, Southgate got it absolutely spot on. (Jonathan Liew is good on this if you're interested - and I broadly agree with him - https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jun/30/flexible-england-win-battle-for-the-centre-ground-in-collective-triumph )

Sterling, to his credit, was losing the ball. Now at first glance, that appears to be a typo. However it was only because he was the only player in the England ranks with the ability and nous to be making the low percentage runs, against world class centre backs, that opened up the game. His pass-and-go for his goal was superb, he broke free to shoot and test Neuer early on and his run nearly set up Kane before half time. To succeed, you have to take a risk, and to take a risk means you open yourself up to losing out. Often it went against Sterling last night, but actually, I think he had a decent game and it's no surprise he got his goal.

Kane, however, reminds me of a Conference striker in his mid-30s, on his last pay day. Slow, lumbering, laboured. The only reason he scored was because Grealish hammered the ball across the box at him. Pundits on MOTD last night (Shearer particularly) said it could spark Kane to go on a run. Maybe. He has form of quiet starts to seasons and springing into life, but he resembled Iseyden Christie in his latter years last night. An occasional touch of class, but operating within a 10-yard-square in the middle of the pitch. Not sure the rejuvenation will happen.

Grealish is the big question mark. Could he be the first player to make team-of-the-tournament when only starting one game? I wouldn't bet against it. He's just brilliant. One of the biggest cheers last night was when he came on, and he links up brilliantly with Kane and others. But the question is, who do you drop? Saka? Unfair, and his direct running has, will and does lead to chances. Sterling's our top scorer and this isn't fantasy football, he won't be dropped. Do you sacrifice a sitting midfielder? Maybe. But I don't think so. It could be that England's most in form player can't play himself into the side, bizarre as that is.

We reduced Germany to the sort of performance we have grown accustomed to for England in tournaments for at least the last 25 years. Outfought, out thought and left thinking what if. They only had two clear chances, where if they'd scored, you wouldn't have complained too much. Werner, and Muller, the cause of so much hurt, screwed the ball past the post in front of me. As soon as he raced clear and hit it, I expected the net to bulge. Then for some reason, as it arrowed towards the corner, it kept on travelling, inexplicably, past the post...and wide ? No, it still doesn't make any sense more than 24 hours on. Football is theatre, it's pantomime, and that put the icing on the cake. They have some good players, they aren't a bad side, and I think we made them look average, rather than anything else.

Final point, atmosphere was fantastic. Felt like the ground was full. Awful, needless booing of the German anthem, but otherwise all in good spirits. I think people are treating the Ukraine game as a gimmy, which is an interesting one. Apart from that, I'm still processing it. Are we seeing, in front of our eyes, a fairytale being told - the redemption of Gareth Southgate? The two hurdles he never overcame as England manager was a semi final and a trophy. Both lie in front of us.
The best team we ever had- since i've been watching the Harriers (2002-)
-------------------Brock-----------
-------Hinton---Smith-----Stamps
-----Melligan--Bennett-Williams---Flynn-Parrish
-----------Henriksen-Broughton------

Edgar T Peaceful
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Edgar T Peaceful » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:55 pm

Thanks a lot for that Harry - very interesting to get a view from the ground without the unavoidable narrative of the commentators, video editors etc.

Jonathan Liew is always worth a read too.
Sam

Harry Err
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Harry Err » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:29 am

Leaving aside any comments about the game itself which have been more than adequately covered by harry211 the one big takeaway for me was just what an incredible atmosphere there was.

I suppose a lot of the stars aligned with it being vs Germany and late winning goals but the whole atmosphere was incredible. Even now looking back I get the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. It is hard to think that the ground was only at 50% capacity. I've traveled all over the world watching sport for decades and that night has to be right up there with the best experiences I've ever had. Maybe it was a combined release for so many after such a difficult time recently with little opportunity to celebrate anything together. Whatever the reason it really was something special.

It's a shame we can't go to Rome tomorrow but hopefully we'll be back at Wembley next Wed and Sunday. Of course if we lose and anyone wants tickets for Ukraine v Czech Republic/Denmark or the final then please do let me know!

ograzebrook
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by ograzebrook » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:56 am

Medieval wrote:
Wed Jun 30, 2021 8:19 pm
Can`t share the feelings over GS. All the talk of us being fearless, yes the players, but not GS. What a psychological blow for us to change formation for this game, especially with an additional defender.

I know people will say we won so he got it right, but it could easily have been so different....
If the big bang had gone differently, it could have easily been very different

Mayo
Subs bench
Subs bench

Post by Mayo » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:13 am

Absolutely, every football match in history could have been different, I suspect if England do end up winning the tournament there will still be people complaining about GS's team selection and tactics.

There is nothing to grumble about (apart from 'fans' booing the knee), 4 clean sheets, historic victory against Germany and a sense of growing momentum and confidence coming at the right time (as well as a 'winnable' route to the final)
Keeper of the fabled Lee Hughes Red Boot, Croasdale #4, Prosser #16 & Bell #14 (very lightly used) shirts.

garthrockett
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by garthrockett » Fri Jul 02, 2021 11:31 am

Absolutely, every football match in history could have been different, I suspect if England do end up winning the tournament there will still be people complaining about GS's team selection and tactics.
1966; media dubbing England "Alf's wingless wonders", debate over a fit Jimmy Greaves being left out for Geoff Hurst, and the doom and gloom after the 0-0 draw with Uruguay.

Things havent really changed much........ :;
"We're all amateurs at this and trying our hardest....." Richard Lane, Jan 2022

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:03 pm

Italy v Belgium.

What
A
Game!!!!!!

Us and them in the final? I think they'll be far too good for Spain.

Phil
The Gaffer
The Gaffer

Post by Phil » Tue Jul 06, 2021 10:45 pm

And another great game.

If we get past Denmark the only way to beat Italy is keep Chiesa quiet and wear them down defensively. Then a goal on the break.

PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA
Assistant Manager
Assistant Manager

Post by PIRATE OF ZARAGOZA » Wed Jul 07, 2021 8:53 am

I nearly went to the Italy game last night , there were plenty of tickets available on Monday night but I couldn't justify £600 for train, hotel and match ticket, probably a chance missed .