harriers-online match report
Vs carlisle utd 
The saga continues.

Kidderminster came back from the Northern Lakes as we expected, pointless and goalless.
Again Carlisle had beaten us and again it was the old, old problem that reared its head. Poor defending at set pieces and a total lack of sharpness in front of goal.

This problem of not scoring goals is now a very serious matter.

All this past week we have been told by Jan that at any moment now this team is going to burst into scoring action.

Can the fans wait any longer for that moment to arrive.

The Reds started well and came close to scoring in the first few minutes when Colin Larkin pulled the ball back from the bye line for Tony Bird to tap it weakly past the post.

Hit the bloody thing next time Birdie, and hit it hard.

Larkin repeated the move seconds later for Drewe Broughton but Broughton crashed into the keeper instead and left him needing treatment.

Drewe then went crashing into Carlisle's Peter Murphy and then into ex Bromsgrove defender, Stuart Whitehead, and earnt himself a booking for his stupidity.

He then redeemed himself slightly when his diving header narrowly went the wrong side of the post.

The opening minutes all belonged to the Harriers until Steve Soley got the ball into the net for Carlisle only to see it ruled out for offside.

Carlisle were now getting into the game as the Harriers started to recede into their shell.

First Nixon just managed to push a goalbound shot from Richie Foran away and then he kept out a shot from Brendan McGill who was on loan from Sunderland.

In the dying seconds of the half McGill came close again when he just failed to connect to a cross from Murphy.

HT. 0-0

It took only a few minutes of the new half for us to fall back into our old ways.

It was the one that we haven't seen for a while and that we thought we had seen the back of.

Poor defending at corners.

Murphy took the corner that had been conceded by Tony Bird, Foran rose totally unmarked at the far post and buried the powerful header past Nixon.

After that the Reds went to pieces. Passes went astray, players were robbed of the ball and they seemed to lack any idea of how to correct it.

Carlisle came close to doubling their score when they won a free kick from Stampers challenge on McGill.
The kick was played into the box and from the clearance Steve Soley smashed the ball against the post with Nixon well beaten.

In the 61st minute Tony Bird was taken off and Ian Foster bought on in an effort to shake them up, but it wasn't to work.

We were still guilty of some shocking passing and off the ball movement, if we can't keep the ball how on earth can we be expected to score goals.

McGill missed another great chance for Carlisle when his shot went across the goal from twenty yards out.

After that the Harriers woke up to the fact that we were there for a reason and started to put some half decent moves together, but by then it was too late.

One day we may score more than 0 goals.

FT. 1-0


Nixon, Clarkson, Smith, Hinton, Stamps, Bird, Williams, Blake, Bennett, Broughton, Larkin.
Subs;  Murphy, Ducros, Shail, Shilton, Foster.

Keen, Birch, Whitehead, Rogers, Winstanley, McGill, Morley, Soley, Murphy, Foran, Halliday.
Subs;  Weaver, McAughtrie, Allan, Jack, Skinner.

Yellow. Harriers 3. Broughton, Clarkson, Williams.
Yellow. Carlisle 1. Soley.

Red. Harriers 0.
Red. Carlisle 0.

Referee;Mr D Laws (Whitley Bay).

Chat about this game here
Did you see the same match as me?
Do you want to write a report?
If you do then click here

links to some carlisle websites:

official site
cufc online
carlisle till i die

if you came to this page via another website
then please click here to visit

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC