harriers-online match report
Vs Scunthorpe 

Harriers lost their place in the play-offs when they lost at Scunthorpe to a goal just seconds before halftime.

Although they had chances to get level in the second half they failed to take them.

We also had another player fall victim to the hamstring jinx when Andy Ducros was replaced by Broughton in the 14th minute.

Harriers started the game with a returning hamstring victim when Colin Larkin made a welcome return to the side along with Abdou Sall who was coming back after being out for quite a while with groin strain.

Scott Stamps also returned in place of Ian Joy after serving his one match ban.

The Reds were the first on the offensive when Larkin won a corner but Dukes kick came to nothing.

Scunthorpe then started their opening gambit with Quailey sending a shot across the face of the goal and then Hodges won a corner that was also wasted.

After that it was almost continuous pressure from the Harriers, Larkin and Henriksen taking it in turns to attack the Scunthorpe goal, but never actually getting a shot on target.

Larkins best chance came when Broughton squared the ball to him but his power shot hit Thom on the goal line and was cleared out to safety.

Minutes later he missed another chance to open the scoring when Clarkson sent over his favourite kind of ball but he volleyed it well wide.

Straight away Scunthorpe hit back when Hodges forced Brockie into making his first save of the game forcing him to push the ball out to the waiting Calvo-Garcia.
Luckily Craig Hinton was waiting to clear the danger.

More efforts came from Larkin and Bo but it was all too late when Scunthorpe took the lead.

Adie Smith gave away a free kick well away from goal but Beagrie found the head of the unmarked Steve Torpey whose glancing header went past Brock just a minute before halftime.

HT. 1-0

After the break the Reds tried hard to break down the Irons defence without any success.

Larkin scorned another opening when, with Henriksen better placed than himself, he opted to go it alone and saw his shot hit the side netting.

Danny Williams, who had been booked earlier, sent over a free kick for Sall whose header was almost deflected into his own net by a defender.

Bo then sent a volley well over and both Adie and Deano missed chances to equalise with the minutes ticking by.

Scunthorpe were hardly getting a look in now and seemed content to soak up the pressure until the final whistle.

Just before Dean became the fourth Harriers player to go into the refs note book he lashed in a shot from twenty yards out only to see it saved by Evans in the Irons goal.

Scunthorpe hadn't finished though as Brock saved from Thom directly on the line.
Torpey claimed that he was behind the line but the ref ignored him.

Unlike last Saturday, and Tuesday, when the day's results went in our favour this time they all went against us.

Hull City and Shrewsbury won at home and that other lot won at the Orient to push us back down to ninth place.

It's only temporary.

FT. 1-0


Brock, Clarkson, Hinton, Sall, Stamps, Bennett, Williams, Smith, Ducros, Henriksen, Larkin.
Subs;  Murphy, Broughton, Foster, Shilton, Ayres.

Evans, Stanton, Jackson, Thom, Dawson, Hodges, Calvo-Garcia, Barwick, Beagrie, Torpey, Quailey.
Subs;  McCombe, Brough, Ridley, Carruthers, Bennion.

Yellow. Harriers 4. Smith, Williams, Sall, Bennett.
Yellow. Scunthorpe 1. Thom.

Red. Harriers 0.
Red. Scunthorpe 0.

Referee;G Cain (Lancs).

Did you see the same match as me?
Do you want to write a report?
If you do then click here

Chat about this game here
links to some scunthorpe websites:

official site
claret and blue

if you came to this page via another website
then please click here to visit

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC