harriers-online match report
Vs southend 
Sunk at Southend.

The Harriers went down to a second minute goal at Rootshall today with a goal from a player who they tried to sign before the start of the season.

Carl Hutchings came back to haunt them when he picked up a loose ball from a Tes Bramble mis-kick and sent it past Stuart Brock in the Harriers goal from twelve yards out.

This was not the start we were looking for after the 4-1 drubbing of York on Tuesday, but there was still 88 minutes to get something back.

For most of the game the Harriers spent long periods camped in the blue half, but it was back to our old failings of not being able to get the ball into the back of the net.

Six minutes after the Southend goal Danny Williams missed the first opportunity to equalise when his free kick failed to hit the target and sailed over the bar.
Then Ian Foster picked up a mis-placed back pass but ran the ball out of play.

The Shrimpers first real chance to increase their lead was wasted when Rawles mis-kick from Brambles cross was balloned over the bar with Brockie out in no mans land.

The game was running from end to end. Harriers had another chance when Broughton sent his header straight into Flahavens waiting arms when it would have been easier to score, then Dean Bennett narrowly missed from 20yds out.

Then it was back down the other end as Brockie pushed away Brambles shot to Rawle who side footed against the upright.

Again it was back to the other end where Colin Larkin missed the best chance of the game when, after Ian Foster had played him through, he dummied the goalkeeper and then fell over and the chance was wasted.

The half ended with the Southend keeper not having been troubled seriously even with the Reds having the majority of possession.

HT. 1-0

The second half saw more of the same with the Reds putting all the pressure on Southend but having nothing to show for it.

Flahaven in the Southend goal just kept out the cross from Ian Foster that was meant for Drewe Broughton, but the Danny Williams corner kick was dealt with easily.

Another attempt was cleared off the line after Broughton tried to divert Williams goal bound shot.

Southend came close to completely breaking the Harriers hearts in the 55th minute when Hutchings 25yd shot clipped the outside of the post with Brockie beaten. Minutes later Jan made the first of his substitutions when he sent on Stewart Hadley in place of Ian Foster, obviously in an attempt to make more use of the long ball.

Broughton then went into the referees book when he and Flahaven went crashing into the back of the net after he went up for a cross in a 50-50 challenge.
He then went close with a header when he put Abdou Sall's cross over the bar.

With almost the last kick of the game Scott Stamps saw his volley clear the bar and with it the chance to end with a point.

FT. 1-0


Brock, Clarkson, Hinton, Stamps, Sall, Bennett, Williams, Blake, Broughton, Larkin, Foster.
Subs;  Murphy, Shilton, Shail, Bird, Hadley.

Flahavan, Cort, Searle, Whelan, Hutchings, Johnson, McSweeney, Kerrigan, Belgrave, Rawle, Bramble.
Subs;  Gay, Broad, Thurgood, Richards, Beard.

Yellow. Harriers 2. Williams, Broughton.
Yellow. Southend 0.

Red. Harriers 0.
Red. Southend 0.

Referee;Mr B Curson (Hinckley).

Chat about this game here
Did you see the same match as me?
Do you want to write a report?
If you do then click here

links to some southend utd websites:

official site

if you came to this page via another website
then please click here to visit

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC