harriers-online match report
Vs bury 
Rain doesn't stop us getting point

After torrential rain in Manchester all day and a pitch inspection at 2:00 the referee decided to let the game go ahead.  The rain carried on coming down.

Ian Britton made an enforced change from the side that started against Orient when the injured Sean Parrish was replaced by Danny Williams.  Dean Bennett and JJ Melligan, who had both been doubtful, both started the game.

Drewe Broughton was missing through suspension and will also miss the next three games.

Kenny Coleman It was the home side that made the first foray on goal when Chris Billys' shot was parried by Stuart Brock after he found himself unmarked inside the Harriers penalty area.  Kenny Coleman cleared the ball to safety.

Minutes later Jon Newby got past Coleman to fire a shot on goal but Brockie easily stopped his weak effort.

The Harriers first chance on the rain sodden pitch came on 15 minutes when Bo Henriksen had a shot deflected by a Bury defender.  Andy Bishop followed that up with a just wide header from Sam Shiltons' corner.

Bury should have gone into the break with a one goal lead but their leading scorer, Newby, got past Stuart Brock but hesitated too long before shooting at the empty net.  Luckily for us Craig Hinton had managed to get back to clear the ball off the line.

HT. 0 - 0

After the re-start the Harriers decided to take the game to Bury and it wasn't long before JJ Melligan had his first attempt on goal when he headed Bishops' cross over the bar.

In our next attack we opened the scoring.

A cross came in from Dean Bennett and as Henriksen tried to get to it he was fouled by Danny Swailes.  The ref pointed to the spot and the injured party stepped up to take it.  He made no mistake when he sent the Bury keeper the wrong way.

Craig Hinton The goal spurred Bury into action.  First Clegg shot wide and then Newby hit the crossbar with a shot from inside the penalty area.

The inevitable Bury goal arrived on 75 minutes when Nugent managed to escape the attentions of Craig Hinton long enough to feed the ball into the path of Newby who made no mistake from 16 yards out.

They should have gone into the lead just minutes later when a mistake by Brockie let in Nugent to score into an empty net.  Thankfully stagefright got the better of him and Brock managed to retrieve the situation and push the ball out of play.

The end was drawing near by now and in the last few seconds it could have gone the Harriers way when, first, Bo couldn't quite get the ball home in a goalmouth scramble and then JJ saw his shot well saved by Garner in goal for Bury.

So the Harriers keep up the pressure on the play-offs although this point still sees them sitting in 10th place in the league when all three would have seen us climb to 6th.

FT. 1 - 1

vote for your
man of the match now

Bury  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Garner     Brock  
Swailes     Coleman  
Nelson     Ayres  
Redmond     Williams  
Unsworth     Hinton  
Billy     Melligan  
Dunfield     Bennett  
Clegg   Flynn  
Woodthorpe     Bishop  
Newby     Henriksen  
Preece     Shilton  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Stuart     Danby  
Lawson     Foster  
Barrass     Doyle  
Nugent     Joy  
O'Shaughnessy     Khela  

Mr G Laws
Whitley Bay

links to some
bury websites:

official site

click below
to select your

Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC