harriers-online match report
Vs scunthorpe 
Reds scuppered by Scunthorpe

The Harriers went into this game on equal points with Scunthorpe and a good chance to move back into the play-offs and they went and threw it all away.

Wes Morgan With a debut for Wes Morgan, our new loan signing from Forest, and a recall to the starting line up for Andy Bishop things looked promising and thats the way it started with the Harriers taking control from the off in an unusual (for us) 4-4-2 formation.

Harriers almost took the lead in the first minute of the game when Sam Shilton fired a cross from Danny Williams just over the bar.  Then JJ Melligan watched his shot land on the top of the net which was followed soon after by a Danny Williams header from Sam Shilton's corner that went narrowly over.

It wasn't all going the Harriers way though.  At times Scunthorpe were employing four men to mark Bo Henriksen and also paying lots of attention to JJ and these two were struggling to make their mark on the game.

Andy Bishop was booked on 28 minutes for a nothing challenge on Lee Ridley as he tried to clear the ball away.

Dion Scott should have done better three minutes later when Sean Flynn's free kick fell for him in the area but he poked a weak effort straight at the Scunthorpe keeper Tommy Evans.

As the half wore on and we found it harder to make any headway the game deteriorated into a midfield mess.  We couldn't seem to find any way of making a killer pass and every ball seemed to hit a Scunthorpe player and rebound to no-where.

Then came part one of the Scunny double whammy.  Peter Beagrie collected the ball on his left and as he advanced on goal alarm bells should have started ringing in Adie Smiths head that he must close him down quickly and give him as little room as possible to work his trickery.  Adie backed off and Beagrie unleashed a shot that both curled and flew into the far corner of the net.  A goal reminiscent of Tony Curries goal for Barnet at Aggborough in our first year in the League.

A minute later it was 2-0 and again it was defensive errors that let us down.

With our defenders looking to each other Paul Hayes sent over a long cross to the totally unmarked Matt Sparrow leaving him with only Fraser Digby to beat.  Fraser could only parry his fierce shot and it fell to the also unmarked Martin Carruthers to tap in an easy goal.

Scunthorpe deservedly finished the half on top and could have been further in front after a Hayes lob from Wayne Graves pass just went over the bar and then Sparrow saw his shot blocked by Diggers just before the whistle blew.

HT. 0 - 2

After the usual half time dressing room discussion the Harriers reverted to a 3-5-2 formation for the start of the second half and within four minutes we had pulled a goal back.

Bo Henriksen Bo Henriksen's 18th goal of the season bought the Harriers back into the game when, after a fine run by JJ, he side footed home from 10yds out.

Again we started to take the upperhand and we almost levelled the score on 56 minutes when a superb cross from Shilton fell at the feet of Melligan but he couldn't quite control it and was robbed of the ball by a defender.

As the Harriers piled on the pressure Scunthorpe broke away to nearly clinch a decisive third goal on 66 minutes but Digby came out to deny the oncoming Hayes.

JJ picked up the second booking of the game when he was penalised for shirt tugging on Lee Ridley.  Ironic when that's what Scunthorpe had been doing to him all afternoon.

We temporarily went down to ten men when Dion Scott was off the field having treatment to a nose injury and it was during that time that Scunthorpe ended all hope for us.

Craig Hinton was beaten for pace by Andy Parton as he raced through and with neither Danny Williams or Wes Morgan able to decide who would make the tackle he was eventually tripped by Danny.

Although there was a suggestion of a dive the referee, Iain Williamson from Berks, yes the berk from Berks, pointed straight to the spot.  Up stepped Beagrie and although Diggers dived the right way there was no way he was going to stop it.

After that killer there was no way back for us and apart from a weak Henriksen shot straight at Evans there was nothing else for us.

The cold rain came down, we could hardly see anything through the poor floodlights and most of the crowd left early.

If we play like this against Southend on Tuesday we'll be looking at a similar result.

FT. 1 - 3

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Wes Morgan

A solid debut and once he gets to know the rest of the lads he should be a good addition to the side.  Even if it's only temporary.

Best for them:  Paul Hayes.

vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Scunthorpe  subs   cards 
Fraser     Evans  
Morgan     Dawson  
Scott     Jackson  
Williams     Ridley  
Hinton     Stanton  
Smith     Sparrow  
Melligan   Kilford  
Flynn     Beagrie  
Bishop   Carruthers  
Henriksen     Hayes  
Shilton     Graves  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Brock     Capp  
Foster     Butler  
Parrish     Parton  
Coleman     Taylor  
Broughton     Cotterill  

Mr I Williamson

links to some
scunthorpe websites:

official site
Chat about
this game
click below
to see previous
Did you see the
same match as me?
Do you want to
write a report?
If you do then click here
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
              Back to Top

Site © 1999- Harriers-Online.co.uk - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC