att:  2474  away fans:  237
Extra info
  Sturrock 12
  Keates 81
The all out attack never materialised and we are still in deep danger after giving away a last minute goal.
A poor decision by the ref leads to last minute goal for Bury.
  Porter 9
  Shakes 90
  harriers-online match report
Saturday 9th April 2005  
Destined to go down

We were promised a new look line-up, by Stuart Watkiss, with the emphasis on attack so what went wrong.  From the very first second of this, yet again, awful game we opted to bypass the midfield and play the long ball game.  A game that we just cannot play.

We also seem unable to play the passing game or the defending game either as witnessed by the 2,200 faithful fans at Aggborough today.

Right from the off Bury, equally as bad as us, were on the attack and it took them just under ten minutes to grab their first goal through some inept defending by the Harriers.  They were awarded a corner and, with our defenders static, Chris Porter swooped in to head the ball in at the near post.

Another short period of long ball followed and then came a goal out of the blue for us and it came from a rare example of playing football on the ground.

A quick break following a poor goal kick from Garner saw Simon Russell play in Blair Sturrock with a long sweeping pass to the edge of the area.  Blair took it forward to Garner and then slipped the ball around him as he advanced out to meet him.

A few minutes earlier we had thought the goal from Bury had knocked the stuffing out of us but now we were back on level terms and it was game on again.

We stepped up our attack but found it being broken down continually by some solid defending from Bury and some poor passing from our lot.  Colin Kazim-Richards was being a bit of a handful upfront, some may say he was just a pain in the arse, and he was getting involved in some dubious confrontations with John Danby.  The worst one, towards the end of the half, should have seen him sent off when he dragged John down and left him on the ground badly injured.  The ref chickened out and merely gave him a yellow card.

HT. 1 - 1

The start of the second half saw a change of player for Bury when the goal scorer Porter went off with a knee injury and was replaced by Danny Boshell.

The game was basically more of the same and it wasn't going to change until there was a change of personnel for us.  That came midway through the half when Mark Rawle made way for the disappointing Russell followed by Bertie Cozic coming on for John McGrath a few minutes later and then finally Wayne Hatswell taking over from Simon Weaver.

It was the last change that led directly to our second goal and one that should have given us all three points.

Hats had only been on the park for a few minutes when he sent over a pin point cross for Tom Bennett to take to the bye-line.  Bennett then lifted the ball back into the area for Dean Keates to run onto and power a header into the back of the net.

Instead of going all out to increase our lead we then decided to sit back and let Bury come at us.  Bury had bought on a few more players and stepped up their attack on John Danby's goal and on one fateful occasion the ball was cleared up to Mark Rawle who, as he watched the ball drop at his feet, found his way barred with a body check from Dave Challinor.

To everyone's amazement, including the Bury fans and officials, the ref turned down the appeals for a free kick then completely shocked all sane people by penalising Beardo for a nothing tap on a Bury player.  The free kick was put out for a corner and from that corner Bury equalised in the very last minute of normal play.

The corner was taken by Barry-Murphy and landed in the middle of the area where it fell just right for Ricky Shakes to score his first ever goal.

With the news filtering through that Rushden had lost 3-0 at Bristol Rovers it was goal that was un-needed and un-deserved.  The five point gap before today could have been down to just two but with Cambridge winning as well it makes life very hard for us down at the bottom.

If we don't beat Yeovil next week and Cambridge somehow manage to get a win at Scunthorpe next week then there truly is no way back for us.

FT. 2 - 2

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Dean Keates

The little man never gives up and his goal should have won it for us if it wasn't for some bad refereeing.
Man of the Match
vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Bury  subs   cards 
Danby     Garner  
Weaver     Scott  
Jones     Kennedy  
Bennett     Fitzgerald  
Jackson     Challinor  
Mullins     Whaley  
Beardsley     Flitcroft  
Keates     Mattis  
Sturrock     Porter  
Russell     Kazim-Richards
McGrath     Barry-Murphy  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Lewis     Collinge  
Rawle     Buchanan  
Hatswell     Boshell  
Jenkins     Shakes  
Cozic     Woodthorpe  

Mr C Oliver

links to some
bury websites:

official site
click below
to see previous

Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC