att:  2356  away fans:  285
Extra info
  Hatswell 67
Harriers robbed of three points as Utd score in last minute with their only shot on goal all game.
  Mbome 90
  harriers-online match report
Saturday 2nd October 2004 
Reds stay at the bottom thanks to late goal

We were so near to leaving the bottom of the table today that it can only be seen as cruel luck that we are still there.  Following a disappointing first half, for both sides, we saw a far better second period that we should have won at a canter only to be robbed of the deserved points at the death.

Jan Molby opted to start with a 4-4-2 formation with Youssou Diop all alone and Ian Foster along with Simon Brown just slightly wider.  Kelvin Langmead and Jesper were on the bench and there was no place for the still injured Christie.

In the space vacated by Abdou Sall during his suspension was Chris McHale.

This game was also the last ones for three loan players.  I expect Jan to try to extend the terms for Brown and Langmead but I get the feeling that McMahon will be returning to Blackpool and we will see the arrival of Simon Weaver, on a free transfer, from next weeks opponents Lincoln.

It was obvious from watching the first half of this game that we were watching the worst two teams in the Football League.  We were both awesomely bad.
Utd edged the first ten minutes but did nothing with the possession that they had but slowly we seemed to lose our jitters and started to control the game more.

Lee Jenkins was the first to go for goal for us when his well struck shot was stopped by John Ruddy in goal for the U's.  In the seventeenth minute Brown should have opened the scoring when the Cambridge defenders failed to close him down quickly enough but his shot from twelve yards out was hooked well wide.

Cambridge came back into the game for a bit after that but still did nothing with the possession that they had.  Strangely it was when the chant of Barmy Army from the North Stand was at it's highest that we went through our worst spell of the game.  So much for singing to raise the players game!!

The end of the half thankfully came soon but not before Richie Appleby saw his attempt of lobbing the keeper fail to come off.  The ball went well over the bar.

HT. 0 - 0

It was Richie who was to get the first chance of the new half when we had a free kick on the edge of the area.  Again we could only groan as the quickly taken kick went over the bar.  But only just.

Simon Brown had another wayward shot go the wrong side of the woodwork but overall we looked a much more potent force in this half.

We had another free kick on 58 minutes and again we failed to make the most of it.  Brownie was bought down yet again as he made his way towards the Cambridge goal but the kick, taken by Dean Keates, was not converted by Diop who only just failed to connect to it.

For the first time in the game Cambridge actually tried to score.  Quinton latched onto a pass from Dennis Oli but, as he advanced towards John Danby, Wayne Hatswell was there to rob him of the ball at the last second.

Oli was taken off soon after to be replaced by John Taylor.  For a few minutes Utd looked dangerous with this new addition as he started to take the game to us.  Just after that Jan sprung a bit of a surprise.

He took off the grafting Apples and replaced him with Jesper Christiansen.  There were a few groans at this, including myself, after all what would he give us up front that we didn't know already.  The surprise was that he was going to go into midfield into the place just vacated by Richie.

Straightaway he looked to be a more dangerous player than we have ever seen before.  He laid a couple of nice balls off and was there challenging when needed.  The spur he gave to his team mates was tangible.

We had a corner on the Railway side of the ground and the ball was floated in by Keates.  For once we challenged for the ball and there was Wayne Hatswell swooping low to head it into the bottom corner of the goal.

We could have gone further ahead soon after when Simon Brown found himself clear on goal but, with only the keeper to beat, he hesitated and the keeper saved at his feet.

With the fourth official about to show the time remaining board Cambridge broke the hearts of all Harriers fans, and the team, when they scored a goal from nowhere.

We failed to defend a throw in and the ball was cleared but only as far as Mborne.  He passed the ball forward then as he ran onto the return he unleashed an un-stoppable shot into the far corner of Danbys' goal.

His team mates ran towards their fans and we could only stand and look at the floor in dis-belief.

We were that close from leaving the foot of the table.  It makes yer mad!!

FT. 1 - 1

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Shaun Cooper

His first game at home and what a promising player he looks. Assured and strong, he's too good for the Premiership.
Man of the Match
vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Cambridge  subs   cards 
Danby     Ruddy  
Cooper   Nicholls
Burton     Goodhind  
McHale     Duncan
Hatswell     Tann  
Keates     D Gleeson  
Brown     Walker  
Appleby     Mbome
Diop     Easter
Jenkins     Oli  
Foster     El Kholti  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Lewis     Marshall  
Advice     Chillingworth  
Christiansen     Turner  
Langmead     Quinton
McMahon     Davies  

Mr P Melin

links to some
cambridge websites:

official site
amber army
click below
to see previous
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC