att:  2283  away fans:  308
Extra info
  Sturrock 16
  Russell 51
After a shaky start that was probably our best display of the season so far.
Memories of Molby are fading quickly away.
  Green 7
  harriers-online match report
Saturday 8th January 2005 
Slick Harriers rip City apart

The Harriers introduced their newest player to the fans today when Billy Jones made his debut for the boys in Red.  Within seven minutes he had almost gifted City an own goal when, in a goal mouth scramble, he headed the ball back towards the goal.  Thankfully! Johnny Mullins was there to take it full in the face.

His second trick was to give Gary Taylor-Fletcher enough room to park a 7.5 ton lorry as he crossed for Francis Green to score.

After that nightmare start he settled down and I can honestly say that it was a relief to see that Stuart Watkiss had snapped up a good 'un.

Green came close to adding a second for his side four minutes later when his volley on the turn flew a couple of feet wide of John Danbys post.

After that typical start from us we also settled down to give the long suffering fans one of the best displays of football seen from a Harriers side for a long time now.  The passing was slick and decisive with Simon Russell, my Man of the Match, buzzing about every where leaving the Lincoln players just kicking out at thin air as he waltzed past them.

The inevitable equaliser came fifteen minutes later after we had spent ten minutes peppering Alan Marriotts goal with shots.  We were awarded a corner on the right where Billy Jones took it and landed it on Wayne Hatswells head.  Someone in a blue shirt managed to parry it but only as far as Blair Sturrock.  He made no mistake in side footing it over the line.

We still continued to have the best of the possession and we were awarded a free kick for a push on ex Imp Simon Weaver.  It was wasted though when Tom Bennett shot feebly at the wall.  Bennett, himself, came close to scoring when he saw Marriott slightly off his line but his lob was not to be a re run of Spurs 'goal' in midweek as Marriott got to it easily enough.

Just before half time Sturrock went close to giving us the lead when his snap shot almost took Marriott by surprise even though it was heading straight for him.

HT. 1 - 1

The second half started as almost a replica of the first with Lincoln attempting to gain the upperhand early on.  Richard Butcher forced a corner within 20 seconds but it was thankfully cleared to safety.

Still they kept coming and it was the turn of Jamie McCombe next when he saw his effort superbly pushed over the bar by Danby.

Ciaren Toner was next to test the Harriers custodian and from that save came the break that we had been looking for.  Simon Russell picked up the loose ball from deep into the City half and set out on a mission for goal.  Swapping a one-two with Dean Keates he drew Marriott off his line and lifted the ball over him and into the net.

After that the traffic then went back to one way in our favour and it was great to see a Harriers team playing with such passion and vigour.  The passing was as it should be, sharp and decisive, and the defending was tough and uncompromising.

Billy Jones went close to getting a debut goal when he went close with a volley and Lincoln knew that they had to make changes if they were to get something from the game but the substitution they made back fired slightly.  Simon Yeo came on for Sandwith and straight away he was menacing the Harriers goal in a scramble to regain the lead.

Fifteen minutes later and he was being substituted himself.  He had received a bang on the head and following treatment tried to continue.  He lasted a further minute before falling to the ground again clutching his head.  He was replaced by Michael Blackwood.

In response the Harriers then made their first change with Chris Beardsley replacing Blair Sturrock.  Beardsley's first touch saw him force Alan Marriott to pull off an excellent one-handed tip over the bar.

With time ticking away the nerves started to come in, from fans and team alike.  Lincoln started to pile on the pressure and we saw some desperate defending from our lads but eventually relief came with the final whistle after three added minutes of extra time.

This fantastic win takes us closer to safety after Shrewsbury and Rushden drew their game and Cambridge, to their credit, came away from Bristol with a point.  Next week at Macclesfield is a big, big game for us and if we can take that kind of passion there we can surely come away with at least a point.

FT. 2 - 1

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Simon Russell

Every single one of them was worthy of this ultimate accolade but Simon just about clinched it because he just never stopped running.
Man of the Match
vote for your
man of the match now

Harriers  subs   cards      Lincoln  subs   cards 
Danby     Marriott  
Jones     Bloomer  
Mullins     Sandwith  
Bennett     Futcher  
Hatswell     Morgan  
Weaver     McCombe  
Russell     Toner  
Keates     Butcher  
Sturrock     Westcarr  
Birch     Taylor-Fletcher  
Jenkins     Green
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Lewis     Hanlon  
Beardsley     Hobbs  
Sall     Yeo  
Foster     Blackwood  
Gleeson     Richardson  

Mr E Evans

links to some
lincoln websites:

official site
click below
to see previous
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC