The Vetch
att:  6462  away fans:  ?
Extra info
Swansea City
  Connor 16, 87
  Trundle 53
Harriers slump to the bottom of the table after this defeat.
The Swans first goal is hotly disputed by Jan after John Danby was clattered to the floor only to be ignored by the referee.
  harriers-online match report
Saturday 11th September 2004 
Harriers slump to bottom place

Controversy followed Swanseas opening goal after the Harriers keeper, John Danby, was sent crashing to the ground with a head injury after a corner.  The referee, who is supposed to blow his whistle for a head injury, irrespective of the state of play, totally ignored the prostrate keeper and allowed Paul Connor to fire the ball into an unguarded net.

You can blame our defence to some extent for failing to play to the whistle or for clearing the ball out into touch but it was still a shocking decision from this first year ref.

Jan Molby came close to earning himself another period sat in the stands but the fourth official must have been sympathetic to his anger because he was just as lenient as his superior.

Following that goal the remainder of the half was a stalemate but in the second half we found ourselves over run by a rampant Swansea side that could have hit double figures.

We started the game with a long awaited change in formation as Jan decided to operate with two up front in a 4-4-2.  Jesper and Kelvin Langmead were the front pair with Simon Brown and Ian Foster tucked in just behind and wide.

On the bench was Iyseden Christie on his first steps to a debut.

The game started brightly enough with the Harriers looking to put an end to their losing streak and an excellent pass for Langmead from Brownie set him clear on goal.  A good interception from Kevin Austin stopped his shot going in and it was put out for a fruitless corner.

After 15 minutes came that awful example of refereeing when Swansea were awarded a corner.  Iriekpen and Chris McHale went up for it but collided with John Danby who went down in a heap clutching his head.  McHale was also down on the floor with a similar injury.  The referee must have seen what had happened but chose to allow play to continue.

The ball went out to Andy Gurney who played the ball back into the area with both players still motionless on the floor.  Still the referee ignored them as Paul Connor chipped the ball over both injured players and into the net.

The idiot in black signalled the goal and as Connor and his Swansea team mates celebrated he then went to discuss the incident with his linesman.  During this time he refused to allow both Physios on to treat Danby and McHale.  A gross ignorance of the modern laws of refereeing and Mr Graham should almost certainly be reprimanded by his superiors for that alone.

Once the furore had subsided and both players had been treated the rest of the half continued in a subdued fashion.  Ian Foster shot just wide and Richie Appleby saw his shot go over the bar from 20 yards out.

For Swansea Kristian O'Leary saw his shot go well wide of the upright before John Danby found himself being treated for a bad injury yet again.

He had collected a loose ball but Lee Trundle, seeing some kind of chance to score, went in on Johns face with both sets of studs showing.  A definite red card for most but not this ref.  A yellow was all it warranted.

Danby had four stitches in the wound during half time.

HT. 1 - 0

In Swanseas favour this half saw them come out with renewed vigour but not so the shell shocked Harriers.  Danby bravely returned to the fray in a change of kit but the stuffing had been knocked out of the rest of his team mates by now.

The home team almost scored in a goalmouth melee and minutes later Andy Robinson hit the woodwork with a shot.  Ten minutes into the half and the second goal came.

Adrian Forbes played the ball into the path of Trundle.  He turned and left Chris McHale for dead as he poked the ball into the net off the far post from 12 yards out.

It could have been 3-0 just seconds later but Connor could only hit the side netting after being set up by Forbes.  Robinson also went close with a shot.

The Harriers were struggling to maintain any enthusiasm for the game and it was no surprise that we failed to muster a single shot on goal during this half.  Minutes from the end it was all over when Connor grabbed his second and Swanseas third.

A corner from Leon Britton, who had replaced Forbes, was played to Martinez on the edge of the box.  He then sent in a pass to Connor at the near post, who tapped the ball in from five yards out.  Connor himself was replaced after the goal and Swansea could have added a fourth goal when his replacement, Nugent, scored but it was disallowed for an infringement.

A sad ending to a game that had been spoilt by possibly the worst referee ever.  This result leaves us at the bottom of the League for the first time during our time in the League and makes next weeks game at home to Macclesfield a game that we must win.

The problem is that we never play well at home to Macc.

FT. 3 - 0

Man of the Match
vote for your
man of the match now

Swansea  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Gueret     Danby  
Gurney   Jenkins  
Austin     Burton  
Iriekpen     Hatswell  
Ricketts     McHale  
McMahon     McMahon
Martinez     Brown  
Forbes     Appleby
Trundle   Christiansen  
Connor   Langmead  
Robinson     Foster  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Murphy     Lewis  
Tate     Mellon  
Britton     Gleeson  
Maylett     Roberts  
Nugent     Christie  

Mr F Graham

links to some
swansea websites:

official site
swansea afc co uk
jackarmy net
click below
to see previous
If you came here from an external link
then please click below to go to
Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC