att:  4014  away fans:  1572
Extra info
  Rawle 83
Harriers are almost down after failing to turn up for the first eighty minutes of this 'must win' game.
Another win for Rushden means that Cambridge have gone.  It's us next.
Yeovil Town
  Davies 61
  harriers-online match report
Saturday 16th April 2005  
80 minutes to wake up

These 'must win' games have been coming thick and fast but now with the end of the season on the horizon it's all been left a little bit too late.  This game against a table topping Yeovil side was just the latest in a long line of these games and this time we decided to leave it until the eightieth minute to try and get a result.

Just one change was made for this game with Bertie Cozic replacing Simon Russell who occupied his place on the bench.  Also on there was a returning prodigal son with Abdou Sall sat there too alongside Wayne Hatswell, Mark Rawle and Lee Jenkins.

It was Hatswell who came on first when he was called on to replace Johnny Mullins.  He seemed to have torn a hamstring when he went to play a ball to safety and as he went off to a standing ovation he acknowledged the fans praise.  Fans who he realised may not see him again this season.

Minutes earlier there had been an explosive start to the game when Simon Weaver had been sent crashing to the ground with a head injury.  At the restart with a dropped ball a cheating Yeovil player passed the ball to another cheat called Kevin Gall who took a shot at goal that just went past the post.  John McGrath saw his name go into the book for complaining and the two cheats get away with it.

The game was pretty tame for the remainder of the half with the only chance of note coming from Dean Keates when he tested the Yeovil keeper with a long range shot that he saved quite easily.  John Danby didn't have a save to make.

At least we were keeping the ball on the ground and trying to play some decent football.

HT. 0 - 0

The start of the second half was a replica of the first with neither side raising their game.  Chris Beardsley wasn't getting much joy from Efe Sodge and Blair Sturrock wasn't getting much joy from anyone.  Then again if he was prepared to get himself in a decent position he may have had a bit more service.

The first to test Collis in the Town goal in this half was Billy Jones when he sent in a free kick that the keeper saved well.

Apart from that we looked frightened to create anything in the area and were just reduced to long range shots that didn't trouble the keeper one iota.  Then again no one from Yeovil troubled Danby either until they went and scored.

At around the hour mark our passing was getting into a right mess, abysmal is a good description, and it was from a poor pass that Yeovil scored.  John McGrath, for some reason, passed it back in the direction of our goal only to see it intercepted by Terry Skiverton.  He then passed it through to Aaron Davies who left Simon Weaver for dead before slipping it past the advancing John Danby.

It was a shell shocked Harriers and their fans who spent the next ten minutes wondered if this was really going to be the end of life with the big boys for us.  It took a long overdue, inspired, substitution to get us back into the mood when Chris Beardsley was discarded in favour of a more muscular Mark Rawle.

Within minutes we had got back onto level terms with a cracking goal from Rawley.  Blair, playing with re-found confidence sent in a deft headed ball for Mark to volley into the back of the net.  Minutes later and we could have, should have, taken the lead when a long looping header from Weaver deceived the keeper and came back into play off the post and fell just right for Rawle.

Sadly Mark was on the floor at the time and could only scoop the ball over the bar from all of six inches out.  It was then that our game came alive and if that had gone in I'm sure that it would have been game over.

To waste a bit of time Yeovil took off the disappointing Phil Jevons, I'm glad we didn't buy him after that poor showing, and replaced him with some bloke with an un-pronounceable name.

It still didn't stop the onslaught on the Yeovil goal though and we could have had another three goals added to our single one.  Headers from both Wayne Hatswell and Simon Russell were tipped out by the keeper for corners and Blair saw one go just over too.

We knew by now that Rushden had come from behind in their game against Boston to grab another three points so this draw would never be enough to catch them.  Now Cambridge are definitely down it just leaves us to fill the remaining space at Boston next week.

Unless you believe in fairies, that is.

FT. 1 - 1

The Harriers-Online
Man of the Match is : 
Dean Keates again for me.

At times this tigerish little player was running from one side of the pitch to the other just to keep a ball in play.  If only we had ten more like him.
Man of the Match
vote for your
man of the match now

Vote for your Player of the Year... here

Harriers  subs   cards      Yeovil  subs   cards 
Danby     Collis  
Mullins     Lockwood  
Jones     Rose  
Bennett   Skiverton  
Jackson     Sodge
Weaver     Way
Beardsley     Terry  
Keates     Johnson  
Sturrock     Gall  
Cozic   Davies  
McGrath   Jevons  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Jenkins     Weale  
Sall     Amankwaah  
Russell     Lindegaard  
Rawle     Tarachulski  
Hatswell     Stolcers  

Mr R Beeby

links to some
yeovil websites:

official site
click below
to see previous

Site © 1999- - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC