Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

        HOME    FORUM
You have arrived at an archived page.
Please use one of the links to the left to reach either the current website or the Harriers Chatter forum.
Thank you.

Morecambe 2 Harriers 0    FA Cup 1st Rd

Date: 11-11-06 Venue: Christie Park att: 1673 away fans: 200+
Poor refereeing sends Harriers out of the Cup
The Harriers FA Cup dreams ended too early again this year after they went crashing out at a windswept, rainy Morecambe today.    It was always going to be a tough game but when the Yorkshire based referee is trying to atone for his ancestors mis-demeanours in the Wars of the Roses by acting in a biased manner towards his Lancastrian hosts then we always knew that there would be nothing gained from this game.

Missing from the starting line-up for this game was the in form Simon Russell - it appears that he came down with a virus before the start of the game, the same ailment that is affecting Jake Sedgemore.    Brian Smikle played out wide in place of Scholesy.    Paul Bignot has gone back to Crewe and Jeff Kenna stepped back into his shoes at full back and Reuben Reid was again out due to his club, Plymouth, not wanting him cup tied.

A quiet first five minutes for us saw Morecambe gain a host of corners that they could do nothing with but after that the first half was all Harriers.    Andy White was in hot form as he twice had a hand in setting up scoring chances.

The first when he robbed the Morecambe defender Chris Blackburn on the bye line but to his dismay there was nobody in the area when he played the ball into the area.    Soon after he supplied Craig Nelthorpe with the ball in the area but the home keeper managed to get a hand to the cross before anyone in a Harriers shirt could get to it.

Minutes later came the terrible refereeing decision when Andy White was bought down in the area by the keeper.

Iyseden Christie fed White with the ball and as he ran into the area Drench came out to meet him.    As Andy tried to take the ball around him the keeper bought down the tall striker just as he was about to shoot.    The referee awarded a goal kick but first was approached by the linesman who was obviously telling him that he had made the wrong decision.    The man in black ignored the advice and the goal kick stood with the Harriers robbed of a valid penalty.

After the ructions from the Harriers players had died down heads dropped slightly and Morecambe slowly got into the game.    Adrian Rigoglioso had a free kick pushed over the bar by Scott Bevan and the defence stood firm to stop the home side getting in any more shots on goal.

After a while we regained control with Gavin Hurren and Russ Penn getting chances to open the scoring but then our Cup dreams came crashing down when, in almost a mirror image of the dis-allowed penalty, the referee handed Morecambe a penalty of their own.

Gary Thompson managed to get into the Harriers area as he chased a ball down.    Scott Bevan dived at his feet and collected the ball but Thompson went for the Oscar and dived over Bevans outstretched arms.    The referee pointed straight to the spot and once the protests had died down he booked Bevan and allowed Wayne Curtis to take the kick.

With Morecambe now in an undeserved lead the whistle went for half time and the teams trooped off with the officials surrounded by security behind them.
HT: 1 - 0
With the wind knocked out of their sales the team re-emerged for the second period.    We could have been expected to be up fired for it after being cruelly denied a goal start in the first half but sadly we looked a spent force.

Morecambe took over the game and had chances from Rigoglioso and Thompson to increase their lead.    It was left to someone who hadn't scored for a long time to double the home teams lead.

Thompson sent in a ball across the face of the goal and it fell kindly for Michael Twiss to send the ball into the net from the tightest of angles.

Mark Yates made some hurried changes and went to three up front but it was too late and Morecambe were not going to give up their chance of second round glory too easily.    We did gain a consolation goal from Gavin Hurren two minutes from the end but it was scant consolation for the loss of our FA Cup dreams for another year.
FT: 2 - 1

 Goals for Morecambe: Curtis 41 (pen), Twiss 73
 Goal for Harriers: Hurren 89

Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

Morecambe  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Drench     Bevan gif
Yates     Blackwood gif
Perkins     Kenna  
Howard     Hurren  
Bentley     Creighton  
Blackburn     Whitehead  
Twiss     Smikle  
McLachlan     Penn  
Curtis     White  
Rigoglioso     Christie  
Thompson     Nelthorpe  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Davies     S Taylor  
Hunter     B Taylor  
Brannan     Reynolds  
McNiven     Howarth  
Platt     McGrath  

Mr D Richardson

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC