Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

        HOME    FORUM
You have arrived at an archived page.
Please use one of the links to the left to reach either the current website or the Harriers Chatter forum.
Thank you.

Crawley Town 0 Harriers 4

Date: 27-03-08 Venue: Broadfield Stadium att: 595 away fans: 57
A stunning away win for the Reds
Iyseden Christie powered the Harriers into an early two goal lead within ten minutes of the start of this game tonight and then two further goals from Matt Barnes-Homer and Simon Russell put us into an un-assailable half time lead to give us our first away League win since November when we beat Burton Albion 2-0.

Mark Yates went with the same team that started the game against Rushden on Easter Monday with Darryl Knights playing just behind Christie and Barnes-Homer.  Our two new signings of Michael Wylde and Jake Moult were not eligible to play but could make an appearance at Cambridge in two days time.

Why change a winning side though?

The game kicked off with the home side on the attack and they could easily have taken the lead in just the third minute when Jon-Paul Pitman capitalised on a mix up between Chris MacKenzie and Mark Creighton after Creighton headed the ball back over the keepers head.  Pitman nipped in but with a gaping net at his mercy he put the ball over the bar.

Two minutes later Iyseden Christie made them pay for that mistake when Crawley gave him free rein to run straight through their defence and lob Ashley Bayes for the opening goal.  Two minutes later and he drove in his second goal of the night when Darryl Knights played him in with a sweet pass and again the defence stood off to allow Iyseden the time and space to poke the ball under the Crawley keeper.

Crawley tried hard to get back into the game but the Harriers are under no real pressure and cope with everything that the home side can throw at them.

By the twentieth minute the game was over when Barnes-Homer collected a knock down from Gavin Hurren and fired the ball goalwards only to see it blocked by Danny Bulman.  The ball rebounded back at him and this time he made no mistake in converting it into the net.

He could have scored a second soon after when he sent in a rising shot but this time Bayes had it covered.

Still Town didn't give up and chances from Pitman, Bulman, Pinault and Cook came in but luckily for us Chris MacKenzie was in good form and kept out everything that they could come up with.

Another chance fell MBH's way and he should have added another goal to the scoreline when he caught Bayes off his line but lobbed the ball over the Crawley bar.  In the thirty eighth minute came the first set back to the Harriers hopes when MacKenzie twisted his ankle kicking a ball out.  Immediately Dean Coleman was sent on to replace him.

In the fortieth minute we came close to scoring again when Simon Russell sent over a corner for Dean Bennett to play back to Hurren who then put the ball out to MBH at the far post but again with an open goal beckoning the striker put the ball over the crossbar.

It didn't really matter because a few minutes later we completed our scoring for the night with our fourth goal.  Knights broke free from his marker to send in a cross for MBH to fire in but it was pushed away by Bayes but only as far as Russell who blasted the ball back towards goal and into the net.

A minute before half time the former Harrier Glenn Wilson, now playing for Crawley, was taken off injured with what looked like a re-occurrence of a recent hamstring injury.  He was replaced by Kieran Murphy.

The half ended with the side going off to well earned applause from the 57 Harriers fans in attendance.
HT: 0 - 4
It was never going to be a repeat of the first half scoreline in the second half as Crawley came out following a dressing room rocket from the manager Steve Evans.  They made just the one change at the start of this half with Lee Blackburn replacing Mustapha Carayol.

We made our own substitution soon after with Russ Penn making way for Michael McGrath.

Crawley's only real chance in the early part of this half fell for Murphy when he tested Coleman with a twenty yard effort that was never going to go in.  Apart from that Coleman had very little to do and just watched the game from a distance.

Christie went up for a ball alongside Tyrone Thompson and both players fell to the floor clutching their heads.  Eventually after a few more minutes play it was obvious that Christie was out of sorts and he was taken off as a precaution.  Brian Smikle came on in his place.

The Harriers seemed content to play the game out and to soak up what little the hosts can throw at them and eventually the whistle blew for full time and a great win for us.

The poor away form duck has now been broken so can we take this good result one further by doing the same to Cambridge on Saturday.
FT: 0 - 4

 Goals for Harriers: Christie 6, 8, Barnes-Homer 21, Russell 42

Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

Crawley Town  subs   cards      Harriers  subs   cards 
Bayes     MacKenzie  
Wilson     Kenna  
Krause     Jeannin  
Thomas     Hurren  
Bulman     Creighton  
Stevens     Bennett  
Thompson     Russell  
Pinault     Barnes-Homer  
Carayol     Christie  
Cook     Penn  
Pittman     Knights  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Carter     Coleman  
Blackburn     Smikle  
Murphy     McGrath  
Joseph-Dubois     Bignot  
Nayee     Ferrell  

Mr D Sheldrake

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC