Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

        HOME    FORUM
You have arrived at an archived page.
Please use one of the links to the left to reach either the current website or the Harriers Chatter forum.
Thank you.

Harriers 3 Grimsby Town 2


Date: 10-10-10gif Venue: Aggboroughgif att: 1587gif away fans: 319
Harriers hold on for win

gif Report by Harry Taylor
On an uncharacteristically baking hot October afternoon Kidderminster Harriers triumphed over Grimsby Town in a game of two halves.  Harriers went in 3-1 up at the break and nearly lost the lead late on but resilient defending by Kidderminster saw the game out as they ran out 3-2 winners.

Lee Morris returned to the side at the expense of Marc Williams and Mark Albrighton started in the place of the injured Ollie Thorne in only two changes to the home side.  The travelling squad saw in-form Robert Eagle starting the game after scoring two goals in mid-week against Forest Green Rovers as Grimsby came to Aggborough for the first time since 2005 where they relegated 'The Harriers' from the Football League.

In fact Kidderminsters goalkeeper Danny Lewis was on the bench that day and was the only player out of the thirty two that played today to have been involved on that fateful day five years ago.

Today's game had everything: atmosphere, goals, heart-in-mouth defending late on from the home side and bad tackles.  Harriers took the lead after a mere five minutes, early goals being something that is something characteristic of this side, when Chris McPhee had the ball in the net after Morris had a shot inside the right hand side of the area.  It was saved, but parried away, by the Grimsby goalkeeper Richard O'Donnell but rushing in for the rebound was McPhee who made no mistake in bundling the ball over the line with the help of the crossbar to give the home side the lead.

This was doubled six minutes later as the Harriers won a corner which was taken short on the left side by Callum Gittings to Mike Williams who crossed the ball over and missed a whole group of heads until it came to Matty Blair outside the area.  He hooked a shot in across goal into the top right hand corner giving O'Donnell no chance and the Harriers a well deserved two goal lead.  It could've been a cross or a shot, but either way it didn't matter as it was a well taken goal by the young winger and Kidderminster were two goals to the good.

Nine minutes later and the goalscorer could've been carried off on a stretcher as Blair burst forward again with real pace beating his man with ease and then looked to take it round Darren Kempson who must've known himself that he stood no chance of catching the speedy ex-Telford man.  This didn't deter him though and he came rushing in like a steam train and ploughed straight through Blair, leaving the winger on the floor and the home fans baying for blood and what should have been a certain red card.

The referee didn't quite see it the same and Kempson only got a yellow card.  Blair recovered quickly though as in the 22nd minute he helped produce a fantastic move by running down the right hand side and, with his trickery, gave the Mariners defence problems.  He slipped the ball to Morris who in turn played it inside to Keith Briggs but the Harriers captain hoofed the ball straight out of the ground with an abysmal volley which was a shame as the move deserved a goal.

In the 31st minute Grimsby got a goal back when the Harriers defence suffered a severe lack of communication as Albrighton and Williams got in each others way in trying to tackle Peter Bore.  Williams eventually got the tackle in that Lee Vaughan couldn't intercept and, as he slipped, Rob Eagle 'swooped' onto the ball and hit a sweet shot low to Danny Lewis' right leaving the Harriers keeper with no chance and giving Eagle two goals in three games.

This didn't dampen the Harriers spirits as Blair notched a second three minutes later and again the goal came from a corner.  Gittings whipped the ball in deep to Jack Byrne who won his header and put the ball towards goal where it was met by the on-rushing Blair who nodded the ball past O'Donnell to quickly restore Kidderminsters two goal advantage.

The home side controlled the remainder of the half with the only other thing happening of note was Albrighton nearly pulling the shirt off Alan Connell's back inside the penalty area with it clear to a section of the North Stand what was going on.  As usual the linesman saw nothing and Albrighton got away with it however he might not have been as lucky with a more eagle-eyed assistant.
  HT: 3 - 1
The second half saw a much better Grimsby side attacking the end with their own fans in as they changed to a 4-3-3 formation and attacked the Harriers far more than in the first half.  Their aim was to bring the game back to 3-3, something they would've done twice in as many games.

Connell was the main threat to Danny Lewis' goal and the Harriers couldn't put their foot on the ball and slow the pace down which was something that needed doing as time and time again they'd lose possession leading to another wave of Mariners attack.

McPhee could've scored a fourth for the Harriers in the 57th minute as he cut in from the left and hit a half volley miles over the goal from inside the area.  The angle was fairly acute so it would've taken a cracking shot to go in.

Grimsby started to pour men forwards and attack with even more intent.  With the Harriers forwards dead on their feet changes needed to be made but there was no movement on the Harriers bench and perhaps if there had been Grimsby would never have got their deserved second in the 70th minute.

As the Viking like war drum pounded out from the away end Peter Bore whipped a cross over to Connell who rose well and headed past Danny Lewis in the Harriers goal to put the game on tenterhooks.  Wave after wave of Grimsby attack went to the Harriers goal but dogged defending and resilience from the likes of Michael Briscoe and Lee Vaughan saw the Harriers retain their lead.

Vaughan himself had a hand in making sure we got the three points as Alan Connell had a shot late on which was blocked on the line by the right back resulting in a scramble which you felt at any minute would end in the net tragically rippling signifying a Grimsby equaliser.  It never came and the ball was cleared and the Harriers held on.

They could've had a undeserved fourth goal as Nick Wright had a curling shot just miss the goal in the dying moments.  In truth after the first half the result was deserved and there wont be many unhappy Harriers fans after today.  Burr should've brought on the likes of Wright and Marc Williams earlier to give the game some fresh legs but, even with them being brought on later, the Harriers saw the game out and walked away with the three points.

Next Saturday sees the Reds travel over to Kettering's Rockingham Road in search of another three points.  If we get a win and with us two points off the play-off's it'll make for a very interesting October.
  FT: 3 - 2

 Goals for Harriers: McPhee 5, Blair 11, 35
 Goals for Grimsby: Eagle 31, Connell 70

The Harriers Online MotM is:

gif Jack Byrne
Vote for your Man of the Match here  
Latest table and stats here  

Harriers  subs   cards      Grimsby Town  subs   cards 
Lewis     O'Donnell  
Vaughan   Bore  
Mike Williams     Samuels  
Briscoe     Watt gif  
Albrighton     Kempson
Byrne gif     Wood  
Blair     A Wright
Briggs     Cummins gif  
Morris gif   Connell  
McPhee     Carlton  
Gittings gif     Eagle gif  
SUBS:       SUBS:    
Stevens     Croudson  
N Wright gif     Ridley  
Sharpe     Garner gif  
Marc Williams gif     Hudson gif  
Shaw gif     Leary gif  

Mr M Bristow

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC