Harriers Online. The wonderful world of Kidderminster Harriers

News Line
Date: 17-07-2012 gif Harriers chase the Wulf away
AFC Wulfrunians 1 Harriers 3

The Harriers gained their first win of this friendly season this evening when they travelled to Wolverhampton Wanderers old training ground at Castlecroft to take on AFC Wulfrunians.  Wulfrunians are managed by the former Harriers legend Jon Purdie.  The 3-1 win against the hosts was finally easy after initially taking a first minute lead only to find the game back all square just minutes later.

Steve Burr chose mainly all first teamers for this game, just Dunkley and Byrne missing with minor injuries, with just the one triallist on the bench.  He was named as Leslie Stevenson but he could possibly really be the Steve Leslie that has just been released by Wrexham.

Steve Guinan opened the scoring for us with a slotted home penalty after Marvin Johnson had been bought down in the area.  The hosts responded soon after with a well taken equaliser from Andy Thompson with a lob that he lifted over the head of Danny Lewis.

Kyle Storer went close ten minutes later with a bullet header that tested the Wulfs keeper Chris Ryan and then soon after that we extended the lead further.  This time a poor clearance from the keeper fell for Johnson who then played Callum Gittings in to make it 2-1.

Just before the break the hosts staged a rare foray forwards when the former Harrier Jake Sedgemore fired over from inside the area.

HT: AFC Wulfrunians 1 Harriers 2

1st half team:
Lewis, Demetriou, Geohaghon, Austin, Williams, Vincent, Storer, Thompson-Brown, Johnson, Gittings, Guinan.

The second spell saw a different side emerge from the dressing room with only Storer, Demetriou, Williams and Vincent remaining from the first half.

Rowe was the first to test the keeper in this half but close marking from the defenders stopped him from getting a clear shot on goal and the ball was easily collected by Ryan.  Twenty minutes into the game and the Harriers lead was extended further.

Ricky Shakes played in the livewire Ryan Rowe for him to scuttle a shot across the face of goal.  Tom Ray tried to clear it but only managed to put it into his own net and send the Harriers 3-1 up.

Steve Burr made some changes after that but almost immediately it back fired after Kyle Storer went off injured and with all the team now having been used once we had to call Demetriou back onto the pitch to cover for him only minutes after being taken off for Rob Thompson-Brown to come on.

The game came to a close soon after with just a late attempt of a fourth goal from Johnson to speak about.

FT: AFC Wulfrunians 1 Harriers 3

2nd half team:
Baldy, Vaughan, Storer (Demetriou), Williams, Demetriou (Thompson-Brown), Vincent (Johnson), Pilkington, Shakes, Malbon, Rowe, Stevenson.

[an error occurred while processing this directive]

Harriers Online @ Facebook

Midland Hydrographics. Proud to support Kidderminster Harriers FC and Harriers Online

Webamaze. Web design for you

Harriers Online forum


Join the KHIST 2020 lottery to raise funds for the club

Help to keep Harriers Online going

Harriers news straight to your desktop
Site © 1999- Harriers Online - all rights reserved  
This site is 100% unofficial and in no way represents the views of Kidderminster Harriers FC